You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

crobbins05

Unregistered

Friday, May 2nd 2014, 11:38am

Can only turn on zone from valve box

I have 1 zone that i cant turn on from the controller either manually or in a program. From the valve box I can manually turn it on by tuning a knob that I assume is releasing the pressure. Do I need a new valve or is something else going on?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 2nd 2014, 2:29pm

It might be a wiring problem, or a mechanical failure in the valve. Rule out the electrical issues first, then worry about the mechanical issues.

crobbins05

Unregistered

Friday, May 2nd 2014, 3:59pm

What wiring issues am I looking for? Just wires that have become disconnected?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 3rd 2014, 9:57am

Broken wire, faulty solenoid, bad splices, and rain sensor are possible items that will prevent valve operation. Resistance testing is how you check for continuity.

crobbins05

Unregistered

Monday, May 5th 2014, 8:15pm

So I put a meter on the offending valve and it tested really high. All other valves were in the 25 range and this on tested at 105. I think there is a bad splice. One question. The wires feed into these tube shaped connectors. Are these just really old waterproof connections? If so can I just clip them out and re wire the connection myself?

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Monday, May 5th 2014, 9:30pm

Those grease tubes are still in use today. I would also check the resistance of the selonoid itself.

crobbins05

Unregistered

Monday, May 5th 2014, 9:46pm

How do I check the resistance of the solenoid?

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 6th 2014, 8:46am

Use your meter and test from the wires that attach to the selonoid. It's an attempt to rule out the wiring as the problem. If the selonoid reads 25 ohms, then you know with certainty its the wiring. If you still get the 110 ohms, replace the selonoid.

crobbins05

Unregistered

Monday, May 19th 2014, 10:01pm

Sorry for the length of time it took to reply but my wife just had a baby and sprinklers have not been on the list. I checked the leads on the solenoid and the resistance was 25 so it appears to be the wiring. I will repair the wires and post when complete. Thanks for the help!

crobbins05

Unregistered

Monday, May 26th 2014, 2:45pm

So as I said before the solenoid is reading 25 ohms but when I re wired the connection I still get nothing. The other two valves in the box work fine. The way it is wired is as follows.
1 ea lead from each valve with the comm (black) wire under one wire nut.
1 lead from each valve sperately connected to each color (red, brown, white)

I am not sure if this is correct but the other two zones work correctly as wired. Could the problem still be the valve?

Rate this thread