You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ctc_01

Starting Member

Friday, May 2nd 2014, 7:20pm

Help with sprinkler design

Need some help on designing a sprinkler system on a well. I am planning on upgrading to a 1hp 20gpm @50psi well pump. I am not sure what size pipe I need to run from the well tank to the back flow and from the back flow to the vlv boxes. If I use 1 1/4" poly its 20' to the back flow. From there it would be roughly 80' to the first vlv box. If i assume the pump can put put 16/17gpm @ 50psi at the back flow then using 1 1/4" poly 80' would produce roughly 1.7gpm loss? From there i could run my first 5 Hunter I20s on 1" poly and adjust flow rate to 14/15GPM? Then run 1 1/4" poly from the first vlv box to a second vlv box 20'/30 away that would run 4 heads and continue the 1 1/4" poly another 20'/30ft to the last vlvl box with 4/5 more heads? I would 1" poly for all the lateral lines to my heads. I wish I could figure out how to insert a picture.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 3rd 2014, 9:53am

You could also consider upping the main size to 1-1/2 inch, and just about eliminating pressure loss in the main. The price of this upgrade won't be all that high.

rencast

Saturday, May 3rd 2014, 2:06pm

Sorry, I cant activate or use my crtc_01 account and I can't activate this account. So you would suggest 1 1/2" from the well tank to the back flow, then 1 1/2" to the vlvl boxes where I would reduce down to 1" for all of my vlvs and lateral runs? Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 4th 2014, 7:47pm

If you effectively zero out mainline pressure losses with the upsized main line, you gain some pressure for the zones, which comes in handy.

rencast

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 6:03am

If you effectively zero out mainline pressure losses with the upsized main line, you gain some pressure for the zones, which comes in handy.
Thanks. When I look at the charts for pipe size and psi loss 1 1/4" and 1/12" aren't much different. Since my well main line is 1 1/4" I will probably up the sprinkler to 1 1/2" to get the full gpm and psi from the pipe. I will have to reduce down to 1" at the vlvs and then run 1" laterals to the heads, 7 heads @ 2.5gpm for a total of 17.5gpmGPM @ 50psi. If it works this way I should be able to adjust the nozzles and get the well pump to run constantly at the 50psi and 17GPM.
Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 10:25am

If you can locate your mainline in the center of the string of zones, then you can split the zone valve output into two of more 1-inch laterals, and nearly zero out the losses in the laterals.

The more losses you can eliminate, the higher the head pressures can be, given a set pressure range on the pump controls.

Rate this thread