You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

dzuroff

Tuesday, April 12th 2005, 12:23pm

Best Solution For Raising Heads?

I am down to two options on raising my rotary heads. I need to raise them because I have an older system and the turf has built up over the years so I am looking at raising them about 1/2" to 1". The system was already installed when I bought my house so I don't have a map of the entire system, however I do know that each rotary head is connected to a 3/4" riser elbow similar to this one: http://www.starnursery.com/show_details.php?root=4&sub1=54&product=841&PHPSESSID=fb12865627fe71864c42af3c25c423f5 only it is not funny pipe; it is the rigid poly pipe. The easy answer would be to connect a 3/4" riser extender to the riser elbow and then attach the head to the extender, but I cannot find a 3/4" riser extender anywhere. I am left with replacing the riser elbow with a reducing elbow like this one: http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/detail.aspx?ID=563 and using a 3/4" cut off riser, or using flex pipe with the proper fittings to move the head where I need it. Which would be the easiest solution? I am liking the idea more of replacing the elbow, however I don't know what I am getting myself into.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 12th 2005, 2:14pm

I would replace the elbow completely, and install funny pipe onto your new elbow, that way you can position your sprinkler where you want it, and you can move it if you ever have to. I wouldn't deal with trying to "rig" up something for the male elbow you currently have.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, April 12th 2005, 5:33pm

<b>434-007</b> is the 3/4 inch riser extender part number. If you don't find any in stock or on the net, you can order a carton of 50 from a plumbing supply.

dzuroff

Wednesday, April 13th 2005, 6:25am

I think I will replace the elbow because that will also make it easier for me if I need to perform maintenance in the future. With that said, what is the easiest way to remove an elbow? I realize I should not heat the pipe because it would weaken it, but I understand these fitting are very tight, and for good reason. Will I need to cut off the existing elbow, or is there a method to removing them? I read in another message that one method of installing an elbow is to smear a little dish soap on the fitting which would make it easier to insert into the pipe. Is this a good method? Sorry for the 20 questions, but I want to make sure I get it right the first time. I already dug up one entire zone to replace the heads and I will have to dig them up again to replace the elbow. I don't particularly want to have to go in there a third time. [B)] Thanks for all the help!

Rate this thread