You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cez81

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 8:24am

Repairing existing system. Keep rotors or switch to MPs (30' spacing)

My existing system has a mix of Hunter PGP and Rainbird 5000 heads. My guess is the previous owner just grabbed whatever looked right at the big box store when a head needed replacement.
There are several heads right now that do not operate properly and I just want to give the entire system a refresh.

I like the look and concept behind the MPs. Both my front and back yard have slopes (not steep but not flat) so the lower rate of the MPs is attractive. However my concern is if the MP is the best choice at 30' spacing. I know they make MPs that go up to 30' and one that goes to 35' (though from what I've read the 30' doesnt quite make it to 30' so I'd likely be looking at the 3500 and throttling it down if needed) but just wonder how effective they really are at this distance or if misting becomes a major concern.

Would it be best to not reinvent the wheel here and just replace my rotors and make sure they all match and have the correct nozzle in them?

I am located in Raleigh, NC and have Tall Fescue (if any of that makes a difference)
This is my first experience with an irrigation system.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 10:21am

No real advantages with the replacement heads. If you have issues with water runoff from the sprinklers, you can always set up a different controller program to run multiple short cycles of watering, with time between cycles to let the water soak in.

Rate this thread