You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

pmarker

Starting Member

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 1:15pm

New Lake Pump with Tank

I bought a house on the lake that does not have a sprinkler system. I want to install a pump to pull water from a lake that can both feed an irrigation system and feed a garden hose. I have a 1 acre Lot. I want to use garden hose to initially to water lawn and wash boat and then next year start working on the irrigation system.
Questions:
1. If I want to use a hose with a nozzle to turn the water on and off do I need an expansion tank with pressure tank to turn the water off when I shut the water off with the nozzle?
2. If I need an expansion tank, what size do I need. I want to make sure the pump does not go on and off when I feed the irrigation system.
3. What kind and size of pump is suggested to pump water from a lake for 1 acre lot?

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 6:48pm

A pressure tank and switch would be required if you would eliminate flow completely. A one or two gallon tank would suffice. As for size of pump...there are far to many variables for any of us to recommend a pump over the internet. Typically, the system is designed first and then a pump selected to provide optimal performance.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 8th 2014, 6:59pm

A combination of a shallow-well jet pump and a pressure tank and a pressure switch would give you a stand-alone water supply. The tank would only have to be a baby size if all you ran was a sprinkler system. To handle intermittent hose usage, you would go larger.

The pump size needed might depend on what elevations relative to the lake surface your property extends to. Something like a Goulds J7S or J10S should give you the water you need, and then some.