You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

tc1458

Starting Member

Wednesday, April 13th 2005, 9:37am

Help! Richdel Sprinkler Has a SHORT!

****o All. We have a Richdel Sprinkler system that has a short in the #2 valve. We have tried the #1 selenoid in the unit & It works. However, when an installed new selenoid was tried the valve blew the fuse. We tried to bypass the #2 wire & hooked it up to the #1 to see where the short was. It still blew the fuse. HELP. Thanks Terry
Terry

SprinklerGuy

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 14th 2005, 5:18am

Need more information to help you.

Leave the system as installed...don't move wires yet. Go buy some fuses first.
When you operate zone 1 it works
When you operate zone 2 it blows fuse?
If it only blows fuses on zone 2, chances are it is bad solenoid on zone 2...however try this first:

Remove station wire from zone 2 and don't hook it up to anything....then try to turn zone 2 on manually with a good fuse...does it still blow the fuse?

If it does, what type of controller is this? It is quite possible that the timer has a short in the panel.

If it doesn't blow a fuse, either the solenoid is bad...or you have a direct short in the wiring.

To avoid all this trouble...call a sprinkler pro in your neighborhood, if you need help finding one, maybe we can help...most of us know guys in many areas that we can refer you to.

Expect to pay between 45 and 85 for him to show up....and 40-60 per hour after the initial service call fee, plus parts. Good luck,
Sprinkler Solutions, Inc.
Arizona and Colorado
www.sprinklersolutions.net

water miser

Friday, April 15th 2005, 12:49pm

i agree blown fuses and x-formers are caused by shorts.best bet call a pro.

dinbri

Starting Member

Sunday, April 17th 2005, 3:33am

I have a very similar problem. Last fall, my system blew fuses in ZOne 2. I turned the timer to 0 minutes on that zone and the the system worked fine. Being proactive, I called a "pro" to come fix it in January (before the season started). He insisted I needed a new control panel. After a $350 visit, he indicated it was fixed. I duidn't turn the system on until this week - Guess what, it still blows fuses. I am still experimenting, but it looks like zone 2 again, though this time it does run on zone 2 for a few minutes before quiting. I agree I need an expert again to come out, just not the same guy. Can your point to a possible problem so I know what I am talking about and perhaps recommend a professional in the area (Kennesaw, GA a suburb or Atlanta on the NW side)? Thanks.

water miser

Sunday, April 17th 2005, 4:47am

i would call back the company that repaired it,i'm sure they would have to honor their repair work if they didn't fix it the first time.
if zone 2 is blowing the fuse when its calling to be on ,it's one of 3 things controller,solenoid or wire connecting the two.instead of being a parts changer the guy should have taken the time to properly troubleshoot the system.

Jazzer K

Friday, September 2nd 2005, 6:17pm

check the common wire. If your controller has a test program run that and it will tell you what valve wiring is bad. If that doesnt work try a voltage tester.
Kasper's Landscape & Design Inc.

Rate this thread