You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

abcoker

Friday, May 9th 2014, 2:43pm

Hunter PRO C - Master Valve

I've got a Hunter Pro-C. It worked find last year, but when I tried to turn it on this year, none of the zones work.

Everything looks fine on the controller display, no errors and the diagnostics run clean.

I got out my multimeter and this is what I found.

AC2 - 24v
AC1 - 0v

The master valve and all the station terminals show 1.5v

I used a wire and jumpered from the AC2 to the master valve terminal and the sprinklers start working.

I'm not even sure if I have a master valve or a pump relay as I can't find them, but that wire must go somewhere.

Do I need a new controller?

Could it just be the power supply?

Whats the AC1 for?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 10th 2014, 7:14am

The old-fashioned controller check was to touch the leads of a valve solenoid to the appropriate terminals on the controller, to verify that it can deliver what's needed to operate a valve solenoid.
It may be that the controller is shot. Or it might only be the main panel assembly.
How many zones has the system?

abcoker

Friday, May 16th 2014, 10:18pm

There are modules for 6 zones, but only 5 are in use.

I assume I probably need a new controller, but my only concern is that there is no power to the AC1 terminal. I hate to buy a new controller if its just a power supply problem.

I don't know where the wires attached to the master valve terminal go, but when I put 24v to that, everything works fine.

I've tried jumpering 24v to the AC1 terminal, but that has no effect.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 17th 2014, 2:20pm

If you can measure 24-29 VAC across the supply terminals, then it isn't the power supply. (and if it was, you would be well on your way to buying a new controller anyway)

abcoker

Thursday, May 22nd 2014, 4:29pm

I replaced the controller but it's still not working. When it tries to activate a zone, the controller just reboots. Think it could be the power supply? When I put the old controller back on, I get the same results as before.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 23rd 2014, 7:04am

If you did not rule out faulty system wiring or short-circuited valve solenoids, before you decided the controller was the problem, then you have to back up and check the wiring with resistance measurements. It might even be that you have an intermittent short in a valve solenoid, that will test okay, but will heat up and short out when a zone is activated. The last is checked with reading AC current, which is beyond the capability of a lot of multimeters, so an alternative is to disconnect one valve wire, and try a manual cycle on the controller.

By the way, what make and model are the zone valves (you can bring back a photo)