You are not logged in.

jde

Unregistered

Tuesday, May 13th 2014, 3:57pm

new hunter sprinkler leaks out between body cap and pop-up

I had a leaky hunter sprinkler that leaked between the pop-up and the body cap.
I bought 2 new hunter sprinklers from Sprinkler Warehouse and installed one new one,
but found when installing it, it was leaking out between the body cap and the pop-up.
What went wrong and how can I fix it?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 13th 2014, 8:23pm

A brand-new head leaking water from around the popped-up part is usually due to dirt in the head, pointing to how it was installed.

lancer

Starting Member

Thursday, October 16th 2014, 3:38pm

leaking cap at the threads

I purchases a new PGP pop up sprinkler because the cap on the old one cracked and could not be secured to the outer shell. Rather than dig out the old shell, I simply took the riser out of the new one and put it into the old shell.

From all appearances the new riser and cap are identical, and when I screwed it on it seemed perfect, but water sprays out sideways between cap and shell, as if there is a seal missing between the cap top and the top of the shell.

any ideas? there doesn't seem to be a gasket or washer in these heads.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, October 18th 2014, 7:03am

You would be much better off replacing the entire head, rather than doing what you did, even if it means extra digging. Some older PGP heads can leak from under the cap, and only by using two large wrenches to tighten the cap can you stop the leaking.

Rate this thread