You are not logged in.

youngmb

Saturday, April 16th 2005, 2:17pm

Toro PVB leaks leaks like geyser

****o , forgive me if this sounds ignorant -I'm usually ok around the house but I've just moved into a home and have never owned a sprinkler system until now. I have a Toro system with a Toro Pressure Vacume Breaker. I had the lines blown out in the Fall and today was turning the system back on to test. I checked at the PVB to make sure connections were tight, then turned the water supply back on in the crawl space, and then put zone 1 on manual. Nothing came out . Went back to the PVB and noticed that the lower of the two levers was closed. When I turn that to the open position water pours out from under the top cap. Am I doing something wrong, or should that valve be open and maybe I need to replace parts in it ?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 16th 2005, 7:09pm

All PVB's (except for some uncommon ones not used in irrigation) leak water from the bonnet when water pressure is first applied. If they're in good working order, they then seal tight, and stay sealed thereafter. If yours won't stop leaking when the supply valve is fully open, then you got trouble.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 16th 2005, 8:31pm

Make sure both levers (ball valves) are open. Your PVB will leak water from under the bonnet and then will seal itself with the water pressure once the levers are fully opened. If it continues to leak with the valves wide open, you have an internal issue with your PVB. Just another heads up, I am not sure of your climate, but when you winterize your system in the fall, it is a good idea to leave your levers (valves) in a 45 degree position to keep the ball valve from freezing, expanding, and cracking.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

youngmb

Wednesday, April 27th 2005, 12:17pm

Thanks very much guys , I tried the system again and sure enough , after a few seconds of leaking the system ran fine ...
Thank You !!
Bill

Rate this thread