You are not logged in.

rghash

Monday, April 18th 2005, 6:42am

Spicing wires - direct soil contact connectors?

I need to re-route about 10' of 1" pvc pipe which is located directly under wifes rose arbor to-be. Unfortunately I've got all the control wires cable-tied under the pipe, and no slack. So I need to splice into the control wires to lengthen them for the new route.

I've been given advice that I can just use the water-proof connectors (was planning to use SnapLocs) and bury them, which just sounds to me like a problem waiting to happen. I was thinking of putting in two small valve boxes (one at each end) and putting the splices in them.

What is the accepted way of splicing into the wires? Can you really bury the waterproof connectors? (I'm still dubious on that one..).

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Monday, April 18th 2005, 9:30pm

Waterproof connectors are suited for being buried directly in the dirt (hence the direct burial), and will work fine in your situtation. You hate to have to add more splices than you need to sprinkler system wiring, but if it is unavoidable, and you do not want to run all new wires, you really have no other option. Could this cause more problem later down the road? It is a possibility, but if you take your time and make the connections right, you shouldn't have a problem.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread