You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

LT87

Wednesday, May 21st 2014, 11:33am

Rain Bird ESP Controller and 11 zones

As the title states I have a Rain Bird ESP Controller with 11 zones. One zone is in a bed that has all mature plants so I've shut it off. The other ten are all grass zones. The lot is approx. 10,000 sq. ft. For me to get 1/2" of water I would have to run the system for about 7.5 hours. The zones range from 2-4 sprinklers per zone.
Can I combine two zones at the controller to shortened the zones to about 5-7 instead of 10?

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 21st 2014, 11:50pm

This is a question of math.

What is the source?
What is the size of the mainline?
How many gallons per minute do the sprinklers flow?
What is the pressure?

If you do not know all of these answers, you can try combining 2 zones and see what happens to the performance.
I mean taking 2 zone wires at the controller (take zone 2 wire and add it to zone 1)
See what happens, you should be able to get an idea of the performance, also check this at different times of the day to see if the pressure is different.

Keep in mind this may cause additional wear on the timer, depending on the quality of your timer.

Good Luck.

If the changes look terrible, you can always reverse it.
:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

LT87

Thursday, May 22nd 2014, 3:51pm

Thanks for the response.

I don't know the math but from the look of the system it looks to be capable.

I combined a few zones and ran the system. I adjusted the heads so I have complete coverage and it seems to be running fine. I combined the zones in a way that no module has more than one combined zone.

I am concerned about harming the controller but don't understand how that could happen with the way I combined the zones. Worst case scenario I break it and buy a new one from Sprinkler Warehouse? :S

Thanks again.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 27th 2014, 1:03pm

Nice follow up.

thanks

Dan :thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Rate this thread