You are not logged in.

DudetteOne

Unregistered

Friday, May 23rd 2014, 3:37pm

I cannot even remove the actuator from the new valve. I guess the old valve needs to be cut off the pipe. I don't understand why they made this valve so you can remove bonnet, and yet you are not be able to replace just diaphragm/spring or whole actuator assembly. What was supposed to be easy, ten minute repair of torn diaphragm now will be a full valve replacement.

mrfixit

Friday, May 23rd 2014, 4:48pm

That actuator will unscrew from the valve body. I can see the date code on your existing valves. They aren't that old. Use two wrenches so you don't snap the pvc pipe.
Some actuators can be repaired without removing them but the valve in question you can't.
It's a 5 minute job. Unscrew it counter clockwise. Turn HARDER. Nothing to it.

DudetteOne

Unregistered

Sunday, May 25th 2014, 12:06pm

It turned out to be a piece of cake....once I knew what I was trying to do. I thought I was supposed to take bonnet off, then unscrew actuator. I didn't know that "unscrewing the actuator" meant unscrewing whole top of valve without removing bonnet first. Then it unscrewed easily, no wrenches needed, there was no glue, I screwed in top of new valve, and it was a five minute operation. Well, I stopped to take pictures, and also had to remove the solenoid of valve next door to make room to unscrew bad valve's actuator, so more than five minutes, but whoo-hoo, no need to cut pipe. Thanks to Wet Boots and Mr Fix-it for your help.

Rate this thread