You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

DudetteOne

Unregistered

Thursday, May 22nd 2014, 2:58am

Removing diaphragm / actuator assembly from Irritrol 311a anti siphon valve

Anyone know if it is possible to remove/replace the diaphragm/actuator assembly from an Irritrol 311a anti siphon valve without cutting pipe? There doesn't appear to be any way to remove just the diaphragm and spring. I bought a brand new valve and was planning to cannibalize it to replace diaphragm or maybe whole bonnet and contents of old valve. I unscrewed bonnet and can get diaphragm / actuator to lift up a little, but cannot remove it.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 22nd 2014, 4:51am

No need to fiddle with those parts. The 311 is a body with an actuator threaded into it. Just replace the entire actuator assembly.

DudetteOne

Unregistered

Thursday, May 22nd 2014, 10:56am

No need to fiddle with those parts. The 311 is a body with an actuator threaded into it. Just replace the entire actuator assembly.

That is what I wanted to do, just unscrew the assembly, and replace it with the assembly from the new valve, but there are no threads on either valve, and no apparent way to remove the assembly. Is it possible this valve comes in two flavors, one with threads like the one I saw in a video that replaced another brand of valve, and one which is a single, sealed unit which cannot be repaired without cutting pipe?

DudetteOne

Unregistered

Thursday, May 22nd 2014, 11:24am

Clarification: by "no threads" and "single sealed unit", I meant there is no apparent division between actuator assembly and lower body of valve, and no apparent way to unscrew assembly. Obviously there are threads in lower body where it is joined via adapter to the pipe. I can remove the six bonnet screws, remove bonnet, metering rod, etc., and see top of actuator assembly, but cannot remove the assembly itself from valve body. Is it meant to be removable? How?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 22nd 2014, 1:16pm

Every 311 valve I've ever seen has an actuator threaded into a body. If you can't unthread the actuator from the existing body, post a photo of the valve, and prepare to replace the entire valve (it can be done)

DudetteOne

Unregistered

Thursday, May 22nd 2014, 1:49pm

These pictures show the valve before I took the bonnet off, the bonnet, and the valve with bonnet off.

DudetteOne

Unregistered

Thursday, May 22nd 2014, 1:54pm

Hmmm, the pictures didn't get uploaded. I used a Windows folder location as the URL, is there another way to get the pictures uploaded to this forum?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 23rd 2014, 7:16am

Try Tinypic.com for a free upload (you might have to endure a brief ad - this seems to be a random thing for me, where they want to be sure that their service isn't being used by a bot, and the usual 'Captcha' gateway is replaced by a short commercial that ends revealing some words for you to type - I haven't seen any ads or Captcha's lately, so maybe my own computer is now being recognized by Tinypic as not being a bot)

The free image upload results in a column of results, and you click then copy the one for forum postings, and paste it into the message box here.

DudetteOne

Unregistered

Friday, May 23rd 2014, 1:28pm

I dug out my old Photobucket account, and uploaded the pictures to there, and used the URLs from there. Here are the pictures again. The first pic is of the valve before I took the bonnet off, second pic is of the bonnet, third is of the valve without the bonnet, fourth through sixth pics are of new valve. Again, I don't see any way to remove the actuator assembly from lower body of valve, no seams, no threads. I suppose someone could undo the nut on underside of actuator, but that defeats the goal of not cutting pipe to replace the assembly.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 23rd 2014, 2:33pm

Nothing revolutionary there. Those are all actuators threaded into a body, every last one of them. If you are unable to remove the actuator from the valve that's troubling you, then you have absolutely no other choice but to replace the entire valve. (And don't beat yourself up over it, someone might have glued the old one in place)

And if you do successfully remove the old actuator, you will see that an actuator can't be serviced with a diaphragm replacement while it is still threaded into the antisyphon body.

Rate this thread