You are not logged in.

DaveNagy

Unregistered

Saturday, May 24th 2014, 4:06pm

Rainbird RC1260BI Problem

I purchased a house in FL in 2011 that had an installed Rainbird RC1260BI sprinkler controller for 8 zones. This controller was installed in 1996 when the house was built. The house has county water and the sprinklers run off of a well with a diaphragm tank.

All has been working well until the last sprinkling cycle this past Wednesday when none of the zones were working but the controller was cycling through the zones which are set to sprinkle up to 30 minutes for each zone. The controller is keeping proper time (so that motor is working) and it properly cycles through the zones (so that motor is working). No zones are working - automatically or manually. The well/pump/tank are confirmed to work (there are hoses attached to this piping and water comes from these with pressure).

I am an adept DIYer (I replaced the tank when the diaphragm failed and replaced the pump controller when it died) and have worked on sprinkler systems in the past at another FL home so I'm willing to take on this one until I exhaust my options. For this issue, I've done little except try making it work manually without success.

Any ideas on where to look for the problem? If it's electronic in the controller, then it's time for a new controller. Since it affects ALL zones, I'm thinking it's not isolated to a valve or selenoid on a zone.

Any suggestions for continuing to troubleshoot or repair suggestions are appreciated, including replacement.

Dave

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 25th 2014, 12:56pm

Get a multimeter and troubleshoot your field wiring with resistance measurements.

DaveNagy

Unregistered

Sunday, May 25th 2014, 1:39pm

Rainbird RC1260BI Problem - Voltage to Valves?

Thanks, Wet_Boots!

I'll try that and also see if the controller is putting any voltage on the valve wires. Should I be looking for 24v to the valves?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 25th 2014, 4:30pm

Voltage gives an indication of life, but resistance is better to measure, and of course it's more work. Make sure you have all your wires labeled before you disconnect anything, although, you can just undo the molex connector to get access to the field wiring side, in order to measure resistances.

Since the controller is still keeping time, it isn't seeing any short circuits in the wiring, but an open circuit won't show itself on an old RC controller.

Rate this thread