You are not logged in.

Imadrip

Saturday, May 24th 2014, 7:03pm

The Regulator on My Rainbird Controller Leaks

I have this problem that has me and the lawn guy puzzled.

There is a pressure control device that goes between the faucet and the irrigation controller. This is black, about 3 - 4 inches long with hose fittings on each end. There are two- I think they are called weep holes- in the center of this regulator.

It drips continuously from the holes whether the controller has the irrigation pipes flowing or not. It's a faster drip than I would use in freezing weather. A new regulator also drips the same way. The hose connections are tight and leak-free.

The controller doesn't seem to be working. There are no damp spots although we didn't dig up the pipes from under the pine straw and dirt to look at the drip ports in the pipes.

I am going to replace the controller but even if the controller isn't working the regulator shouldn't be dripping.

Does anyone have a suggestion about trouble shooting this?

Richard

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 25th 2014, 12:59pm

Without some photos, there's a whole lot of guessing.

Imadrip

Monday, May 26th 2014, 8:36pm

The Regulator on My Rainbird Controller Leaks

The smallest file size I can save a .jpg is about 320Kb. It says the limit for photos is 20Kb. What would a 20Kb picture picture look like?

I had a second consultation with my lawn guy- who does install irrigation systems- and bought a (cheap) moisture meter.

It does look like there is a leak around the inlet of the regulator. We wrapped a paper towel around the inlet fitting and it showed there is a very slow leak. I will put some pipe dope on the faucet outlet and see if that helps. It's OK for drinking water.

The moisture meter says there is a small but measurable amount of moisture in the ground at the roots of a plant vs. an un-irrigated area near by. I don't know. I would have expected more moisture.

Happy Memorial Day to all. Viet Nam 1970 - 71.

Richard

Rate this thread