You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

simple_son

Unregistered

Monday, May 26th 2014, 6:02pm

New Home Owner - Abandoned Zone Use ?

New homeowner here,

Ive been getting my sprinkler system dewinterized for this year and all seems to be working well. My problem began when I found sprinkler lines running into my raised beds next to my back patio. We found the abandoned spouts when we were digging up one of the beds to plant an herb garden. The previous owner had simply filled them with mulch and abandoned whatever function the sprinklers may have had.

The 4x6 bed that we dug up had 3 of these abandoned pipes. It looks like there was originally some 1/2" tubing attached here that has since been cut off of the 90 degree adapter. Would this have been set up as a drip system? I know that with a drip system you would usually attach everything off of 1/2" tubing lines, and being in a raised bed it seems like the most obvious choice. Would this mean that this entire zone is set up as a lower pressure zone to run a drip system, or could it be made into a drip system off any zone? I have never used the zone that it is attached to until today. The previous owner did not have it programmed for use, and when I turned it on I found out why:

A large hole from a dog in the 3/4" id polyflex.

I patched the hole and confirmed that it does feed the zone in the raised bed. I would really like to have a drip system in this bed to feed my herb garden, and if it is as simple as adding new 1/2" tubing and connecting emitters from there, I would be thrilled. Please fill me in, as I am a total newb to this stuff.

Also, if it is the case that this is all set up for a drip system, is it possible to tap into the 3/4" mainline to add another bed? The exposed pipe where I made the repair is right next to two other 4x6 raised beds that I built. If possible, I would like to add a drip system to them, attaching to the same zone that I fixed.

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Monday, May 26th 2014, 6:41pm

Hard to say if its a pressure regulated drip zone, unless you can find a pressure regulator. As for your other plans, that 3/4" line will feed plenty of drip line. A pressure regulator for drip isn't really necessary, imho, unless pressure of the zone is in excess of 50psi.

Rate this thread