You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Taxman71

Wednesday, April 20th 2005, 5:27am

Valve Won't Shut Off

First, I have been reading this forum for a while and appreciate all the great advice you experts have given.

Now, my problem. When I started up my system for spring, the final zone (Zone 5) will only work manually (turning the valve on or off by hand in the valve box). The other 4 zones work perfectly. Thus, Zone 5 is either always on or always off.

What I think is the problem: While tinkering with the valve for Zone 5 (this is my first spring to have a sprinkler system), I turned the valve knob past "off" to the point it came loose. When I screwed it back on, it tightened to the off position as normal, but a single black wire appears to have been ripped loose from its connection. The black wire that is loose is connected inside the valve knob.

I believe this now-broken connection opened/closed Zone 5 from the controller. This would explain why it will not work other than manually. Tonight, I will try to splice the broken wiring together with a connector and see if it works. If not, I assume I may have to replace the valve.

I appreciate any thoughts or advice from others who may have encountered this problem.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 20th 2005, 9:33am

I believe you are referring to the wire coming out of the solenoid. There should be two wires coming out of the solenoid (or valve handle). One connects to the zone wire coming from the controller, and the other connects to the common wire (usually white) which runs to all other valves. This is a simple fix, and you should not need to replace the valve. Simply get a waterproof direct burial connector (such as SnapLock or DryConn) and connect the two wires back together. That should fix your problem. Good Luck
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Taxman71

Wednesday, April 20th 2005, 10:57am

Thanks RidgeRun05, I will give that a shot tonight and report back.

Taxman71

Tuesday, April 26th 2005, 10:42am

Just to follow up:

I connected the severed solenoid wire with a DryConn wire connector (from Lowe's FYI) and it works perfectly. Thanks again for the tip.

Rate this thread