You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

BruceW

Starting Member

Saturday, June 7th 2014, 12:06pm

Loud noise from neighbors sprinkler system

I live in a neighborhood in Houston, TX and share a meter box with my neighbor, although we have separate meters. In 1989 the neighbor's son decided to try being a sprinkler installer and put in his first system in my neighbors yard. I do not believe he put in a backflow preventer, as required. The house has been sold several times since that time. Whenever their sprinkler system runs, I get a loud constant noise in the pipes in my attic. It is especially loud when it starts, and when it changes zones, but it is a constant vibrating noise in my pipes. It literally sounds like a small generator running in my attic. I have asked numerous plumbers over the years, and called into radio shows, with no effective solution.
If I turn off the water valve to my house, the noise stops, so the noise is not traveling in the pipe itself, but in the water in the pipe. I have had the water meter changed twice, and have reset the air chamber a hundred times, with no change. I have dug up my water line to make sure it doesn't contact my neighbors. I was wondering if an in-line check valve may help? And ideas on what is causing this?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 7th 2014, 7:45pm

Is there any pressure-reducing valve feeding your house? What are the water pressures you see? (with and without sprinkler operation)

Consider getting your own exclusive meter tap in the street, sharing nothing with neighbors.

Rate this thread