You are not logged in.

DrewZ

Unregistered

Monday, June 9th 2014, 2:22pm

Diaphragm or solenoid - help determine what to replace

Thanks to everyone that assisted in replacing the BFP device last year...apologies for being a noob.

The last sprinkler head or lowest in the line for a zone is leaking. I have determined it is the control valve for that zone....as I have replaced the sprinkler head/emitter and it still leaks. When I turn off the water at the main ball cock for the system - leaking stops. All emitters in zone run properly when charged and activated, but when the zone is turned off the one emitter still leaks. I flushed the valve using the manual screw, and turning the solenoid. I also removed the top half of the valve to inspect the diaphragm for debris or cracks/leaks. The rubber diaphragm seems to be in good order, but of course the one emitter still leaks. When putting it all back together, and charging the system - emitter still leaks.

I am thinking that the diaphragm needs replacing, and it's only $4.75 so that is my next attempt at resolving the issue.

My question is (and I don't understand solenoids fully) - if the system is activating, but not shutting off completely - is this "possibly" due to a weak solenoid or spring mechanism? The repair diaphragm kit comes with a new spring.

If the system was not coming on, then I'd think solenoid replacement...right?.

Hoping to replace a $4.75 rubber diaphragm than to dig up the entire valve and monkey with PVC and cement in a VERY tight space (thanks installation guys).

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 9th 2014, 4:21pm

You can always cover both bases with a complete replacement valve, and use whatever parts are needed to make the repair, while being ready to replace everything.

What make and model number of zone valve?

DrewZ

Unregistered

Monday, June 9th 2014, 5:34pm

CP valve

http://store.rainbird.com/product/detail/B60020-M.aspx#.U5Y1tPmwJcQ

It's like the one pictured above. I suppose I could buy the whole valve and only replace the diaphragm to start with - good idea. I just really don't want to replace the valve (yet) as the space is very tight already and would be a hassle, or more so than just swapping out the diaphragm.
http://store.rainbird.com/product/detail/B60020-M.aspx#.U5Y1tPmwJcQ