You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Sunday, June 15th 2014, 8:32pm

Controller recomendation, 16 zones, 6 programs

I have 2 seperate Nelson controllers that I would like to replace with a single unit. Here are my requirements:

-16 zone
-6 programs
-Minimum of 3 start times per program
-Will be mounted indoor
-No need for sensors
-No need for internet/remote access

Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Canada_Guy in Victoria BC

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 16th 2014, 5:41am

What are you accomplishing with 6 programs that cannot be accomplished with less? That controllers are not commonly offered with as many as six programs would strongly suggest that 6 programs are not a life-or-death necessity.

Strictly for the money, you duplicate the existing arrangement with two cheap 8-zone controllers, like a Hunter XC-800i, and you get the same programming capability as you currently have.

Monday, June 16th 2014, 10:21am

Thanks for the reply Wet_Boots. I appreciate it.

I'm presently using 2 separate controllers and achieving my multi-function functionality.

Update: I may be able to get away with 12 zones (but prefer 16).

Do I REALLY need 6 programs? Probably not, but I need at least 4, preferably 5.

I'm on a deep well, and don't like to do all my watering on the same day. I split my 2 lawn zones programmed across different days. I have a vegetable garden that I use a zone programmed for daily watering. I have a drip system that I water deep, once a week (up to 4 programs at this time). I have one other flower zone that I prefer to water twice a week, so this would be program #5.

I like the TORO Evolution panel, but it only has 3 programs and an AUX (Lighting) zone).

I also saw the RainMachine. It looks like it satisfies my need for the number of programs (unlimited), but only has 12 zones.

Thanks again for your help, it is appreciated.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Canada_Guy" (Jun 16th 2014, 12:55pm)

scerpio

Unregistered

Monday, June 16th 2014, 5:01pm

Thanks for the reply Wet_Boots. I appreciate it.

I'm presently using 2 separate controllers and achieving my multi-function functionality.

Update: I may be able to get away with 12 zones (but prefer 16).

Do I REALLY need 6 programs? Probably not, but I need at least 4, preferably 5.

I'm on a deep well, and don't like to do all my watering on the same day. I split my 2 lawn zones programmed across different days. I have a vegetable garden that I use a zone programmed for daily watering. I have a drip system that I water deep, once a week (up to 4 programs at this time). I have one other flower zone that I prefer to water twice a week, so this would be program #5.

I like the TORO Evolution panel, but it only has 3 programs and an AUX (Lighting) zone).

I also saw the RainMachine. It looks like it satisfies my need for the number of programs (unlimited), but only has 12 zones.

Thanks again for your help, it is appreciated.
BlueSpray - 16 zones, unlimited programs, unlimited start times.

Monday, June 16th 2014, 11:46pm

Thanks for suggesting BlueSpray. It looks interesting.

I also saw IrrigationCaddy IC-W1 WiFi controller. It has 5 programs and up to 43 zones.

Here are my thoughts on each. I think I'm leaning to the BlueSpray.

IrrigationCaddy IC-W1
-Good: Expandable to 43 zones
-OK: has 5 programs. This is an absolute minimum for me. I will have to compromise a bit.
-Poor: Exposed connections. I prefer enclosed.
-Good. Has a display. May not need it, but nice to have.
-Good: Cloud service. I assume it's free????
-Good: Company has been around for a while. Probably stable.

BlueSpray
-Good: Base unit is 8-zones. Expandable to either 16 or 24 zones (exceeds my requirements)
-Very Good: Unlimited programs. No compromise.
-Good: Enclosed connections. I prefer this.
-Poor. No display. It may not be a big deal. Once I use the computer to program, I may not look back.
-Fair: No Cloud service, but they provide access via port forwarding. A bit harder on the set up.
-Poor: Company is new. Stability unknown.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 17th 2014, 7:45am

Three programs generally get you there (two for lawn, like when you split them to fit a supply or time window consideration) and one for shrubs. It might be possible to create an everyday zone without a separate program, simply by connecting two zone outputs together, and having those zones on different lawn programs. That simple workaround can get you the equivalent of five programs on a four-program controller, and lets you into the advanced capabilities of a controller like the Hunter I-Core.

scerpio

Unregistered

Tuesday, June 17th 2014, 10:13am

What's so advanced about limited programs? That's so 20th century technology.

Tuesday, June 17th 2014, 5:39pm

I took the leap and ordered the BlueSpray, 24-zone model.

Unfortunately, Sprinkler Warehouse won't ship to Canada (even on my own company UPS account). This is a great forum so i wanted to pass the business on to them.

I'll report back on my experience.

Rate this thread