You are not logged in.

Shuriko

Tuesday, July 1st 2014, 9:11pm

Hunter SVC-100 Controller

Hello Everyone:
This is my first posting. I apologize in advanced if these questions were asked often.
I picked up a Hunter SVC-100 controller at a garage sale, but the owner was not certain if it worked. I figured for $4 it was worth the risk. It did not come with any valve or DC latching solenoid.
I installed a battery and did the normal programing (time and day of week). It appears fine, but I am not 100% certain it will work. Is there a way to use a digital meter and take some sort of read at the black and red wires? I connected the DMM and did a manual turn on. After the 10 second count down the DMM read around 1.7 to 2.3 Volts (DC) for a split second then it went back to 0.00 volts. After the timer ended the voltage read around -2.5 vDC for a split second. I read that is the intent of the latching solenoid. But I want to confirm these voltage readings appear within the design intent and from your experience reads fine.

Also can the Hunter 9V DC latching solenoid fit with Orbits anti-siphon valves (3/4" OD model) or must the ASV be a Hunter specific model?

The other question is whether the SVC-100 timer can be left out to the environment and exposed to the sun. All the picture examples I seen have the timer in a valve box. I understand it is weather proof but can it be directly mounted on top of the ASV and exposed to the sun.
Thank you

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Shuriko" (Jul 1st 2014, 9:30pm)

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 2nd 2014, 5:40pm

I don't know how much I can help you with this but I'll tell you what I know.

I haven't seen this question before.

I know that 4 dollars for the SVC-100 is an amazing deal. I would have bought it too!

I know the controller activates solenoids between 9 and 11 Volts DC. Your best bet is to attach a DC solenoid to the controller and see if it works.

The Hunter solenoid will only fit Hunter valves. Maybe there's a solenoid adapter that will allow the solenoid to be attached to other valves.
You're dealing with an Orbit valve though. I'd swap it out for a Hunter valve.

You can buy DC solenoids for other make and model valves and the SVC will activate them.

Operating temperature: 0º F to 140º F so it will probably be fine in the sun unless it's super hot and gets baked. Did the controller come with the rubber cover? You don't want to fry the LCD screen in direct sunlight. Maybe put the controller into a cloth bag if there's no place to dig and install a small round valve box.

Shuriko

Wednesday, July 2nd 2014, 10:05pm

I don't know how much I can help you with this but I'll tell you what I know.

I haven't seen this question before.

I know that 4 dollars for the SVC-100 is an amazing deal. I would have bought it too!

I know the controller activates solenoids between 9 and 11 Volts DC. Your best bet is to attach a DC solenoid to the controller and see if it works.

The Hunter solenoid will only fit Hunter valves. Maybe there's a solenoid adapter that will allow the solenoid to be attached to other valves.
You're dealing with an Orbit valve though. I'd swap it out for a Hunter valve.

You can buy DC solenoids for other make and model valves and the SVC will activate them.

Operating temperature: 0º F to 140º F so it will probably be fine in the sun unless it's super hot and gets baked. Did the controller come with the rubber cover? You don't want to fry the LCD screen in direct sunlight. Maybe put the controller into a cloth bag if there's no place to dig and install a small round valve box." [End of Quote]

Trying to figure out the quote function.......Thank you mrfixit. I did some other research, but could not find reference to the actual voltage necessary to trigger the solenoid. But definitely it was not reading north of 3 v DC. As for the solenoid I do know it has to be DC latching. From what I understand many of the solenoids are either 24v DC or non-latching. The controller did come with the cover, but I figured out another way of laying it out so it will not be influenced by the nasty UV. I also ordered a Hunter DC latching solenoid.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Shuriko" (Jul 3rd 2014, 1:06pm)