You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

ivada

Unregistered

Sunday, July 6th 2014, 9:41am

3 of 4 zones don't work, please help!

Hi, I'm a homeowner trying to figure out why 3 of my 4 zones will not work suddenly. I have a rainbird controller, and system divided into 4 zones - 3 for the front and 1 for the backyard. The backyard zone works, but the front zones won't. The solenoid for the front seems to be completely buried by mud and I can only see a valve with a tiny screw on top/in the middle of the valve for manual operation, and 4 wires (2 sets of connected wires). I can turn on the front zones manually by twisting the tiny screw on top of the valve but then water starts coming out of the valve and floods the control box, drowning the 4 wires.

I checked the voltage at the wires using my voltmeter and can read voltage there, so it does not appear to be a wiring issue or a plumbing issue since all sprinklers seem to work when I switch them on manually.

I'm a complete newbie so will appreciate any help you could provide. Thanks in advance!!

mrfixit

Sunday, July 6th 2014, 12:20pm

It's a wiring issue. Redo all wiring splices. Check the connection of the common wire at the controller.

Unless there's been some work done on the main line recently where debris clogged up all three valves the problem should be the wiring.

I suppose it could be the controller but it probably isn't. You can move the wire that's working over to one that's not and see what happens. I'm assuming you'll still have the same issues by moving wires around.

Rate this thread