You are not logged in.

milgrad

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 3:09am

Sprinkler system turned on, but freezing weather

I live in Pennsylvania and turned my system on last week. We are supposed to have tempertures below freezing on Sunday night. Will that hurt my system at all? Is there anything I need to do to protect it? Please advise as I am worried I might damage my system.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 3:47am

It could but I live in northern MI where it has been down to 20 degrees but warms during the day and I have not had a problem. If you are really concerned just make sure anything outside and above ground doesnt have water in it.
Thanks,

Pete

milgrad

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 4:43am

Thanks...What do I need to do to check everything...I haven't had my system on for about three days. It is only supposed to get down to 30 for Sunday night and then warm back up the rest of the week...I really don't think it will be a problem, but I don't want to take a chance. I spent a fortune on getting everything installed...

drpete3

Supreme Member

Saturday, April 23rd 2005, 5:09am

Have you ever blown your system out? Is ther some above ground outside pipes? If you have a compressor You will need to shut off the sprinkler main inside your house. Some where down stream from that you need to connect your compressor. For this situation you really don t need all of your lines clear like you will for normal winterization. So after you are connected then You need to open all of your sprinkler valves. You shouldnt let the compressor put out more than 70 psi and blow out the lines. THen close your valves again. What this should accomplish is the above ground lines are blown out. No water in those. For one noght of freezing this will be fine. Leave the sprinlkler main off until you wont have freezing temps. This is a bit simplified so if you dont follow my instructions let me know. Please note this is not how you would blow out the lines for normal winterization but will work for this situation.
Thanks,

Pete

drpete3

Supreme Member

Monday, April 25th 2005, 4:14am

So, pipes still in one piece?
Thanks,

Pete

milgrad

Monday, April 25th 2005, 4:16am

I was not able to blow the system out...I don't have the equipment to do it, but it only got down to 32 degrees for a few hours, so I think everything should be OK

Rate this thread