You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

drredsox

Sunday, April 24th 2005, 9:34am

How do I turn on my sprinkler system?

Hi, I just bought this house. First time dealing with lawn and sprinkler system in my life.
Basic question: How do I turn the system on? I saw the main red handle in the basement and turned it on, inline with the water pipe. What's next?

DrRedSox

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, April 24th 2005, 2:50pm

Turn counter-clockwise in a circle three times slowly. Then go find the electric controller for the sprinkler system, and turn it on.

drredsox

Monday, April 25th 2005, 2:55am

I hate to ask stupid questions but...
Do you mean turn three times the red handle? It takes quarter turn only.
Where would the electric controller be located typically?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 25th 2005, 5:33am

It was a joke. (I'm glad I didn't say 'sacrifice a chicken') You need to turn on the controller that operates the sprinkler system. If you don't see it near the shut-off valve, then try your garage. It's got to be somewhere.

drredsox

Monday, April 25th 2005, 5:52am

Wet Boots, You are really a joker...I don't know what the **** you are doing here....get a life...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, April 25th 2005, 2:03pm

Oh chill. Just look for the timer and turn it on. If you are totally lost, try to trace any sprinkler control wire you see outdoors back to the house.

water miser

Monday, April 25th 2005, 4:54pm

a little sarcasm is a small price to pay when asking for free advice.

drredsox

Tuesday, April 26th 2005, 2:17am

Don't be sarcastic when you don't know who you are talking to, espically those who are novices. Your sarcasm can cause seriouse damage and there would be no one to blame.

bgeddes

Monday, May 2nd 2005, 11:11am

Besides, everybody knows you turn 3 times clockwise (not counter-clockwise).

drredsox

Wednesday, May 4th 2005, 1:56pm

Now that I'm getting familiar with the sprinker system, I was able to find the timer and the main water supply lever. I notice that there's wire coming out of the timer-which is installed in the basement- and goes outside then underground. Only about 1" wire is visible.
Does that wire go to the valves, which I'm still not able to find in the front or back yard?
Should I dig up and follow the wire route to find the location of the valves so I can turn them on?
Thanks,

Rate this thread