You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

OscarNav

Tuesday, April 26th 2005, 6:50pm

Funny Pipe Questions...?

I did a search for the answer here on the forums but did not find it....

What size Funny pipe do you guys recommend to use...?

I saw a roll of 3/4" at home depot and was leaning towards using it. I figured i'd be losing less water flow and pressure than using the 1/2" funny pipe. All my T's and elbows have 3/4" risers installed (1" laterals, ) so it would be really easy to re-locate my sprinklers heads. This brings up my second question. I will be having 6 RB 5000 Plus rotors on this zone (Approx. 120FT of 1" pvc run) i will be staying well under my GPM.....

I was wondering whats the furthest length from the riser can i run my funny pipe....? How many feet of funny pipe can i use per head..? On one Rotor it will have to be moved at least 4 feet, the others about 2 feet.

Last question, can i use Riser nipples from the 3/4" Female thread coming out of the Barbed elbow. (3/4" barbed to a 3/4 Female thread).

Reason i ask....i need to move the heads (like i said 1 about 4' the others about 2', but i'd be losing over 1 foot in depth so the 4 footer would actually be close to 5 feet and the 2 footer closer to 3 feet. Hope i am explaing myself correctly...Please advise, Thanks.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 27th 2005, 4:36am

Just going on gut feeling (based on what I've learned at places like www.irrigationtutorials.com and my engineering background) but I would say that (as far as flow and pressures are concerned) 3/4" funny pipe going to a single rotor would be just fine for any length less than 10 feet. What I'm not sure about is how well long lengths of funny pipe will withstand surface traffic over time.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 27th 2005, 8:24am

What are you guys talking about? I dont think there is such a thing as 3/4 funny pipe. Are you talking about poly pipe? Poly comes in 1/2 3/4 1 1.25 and larger. Funny pipe is more like 3/8 inch. And 3/4 poly is fine for laterals but if the rest of the system is 1 in then just use 1in poly for the laterals.
Thanks,

Pete

OscarNav

Wednesday, April 27th 2005, 5:12pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drpete3</i>
<br />What are you guys talking about? I dont think there is such a thing as 3/4 funny pipe. Are you talking about poly pipe? Poly comes in 1/2 3/4 1 1.25 and larger. Funny pipe is more like 3/8 inch. And 3/4 poly is fine for laterals but if the rest of the system is 1 in then just use 1in poly for the laterals.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

That shows my knowledge in regards to funny pipe...i thought funny pipe was actually poly made material and came in many diameters. Can i use poly pipe to act as funny pipe..???

It was a roll of 100' (3/4") at home depot, i guesss thats what it was, poly pipe. Im not sure if i explained myself correct....i call the pipe after the inline valve (Laterals) am i right?

Yes...this is 1" pvc pipe with risers and elbows reduced to accept 3/4" Riser that currently connect my Rainbird 5000 plus rotors to the pvc line, via 5" sch 80 risers.

You said " use 1" poly"....so what do i do, 1" barbed elbow that reduces to 3/4" male thread? Then from there i use the 1" poly pipe to another 1" barbed elbow that reducees to 3/4" to the rotor itself..? Can i use any length 1" poly pipe under 10' with this method..? I hope im explaing this correctly, or better yet, please advise on a method without having to cut the pvc pipe.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, April 27th 2005, 6:30pm

<b>No poly pipe needed</b> - if all you are doing is locating individual sprinkler heads within the aforementioned ten feet from the PVC pipe. You would use the genuine 3/8" funny pipe, and the special fittings that go with them.

OscarNav

Wednesday, April 27th 2005, 9:31pm

WOW...genuine funny pipe is only 3/8 of an inch...? I thought it was at least 1/2 inch and here i was concerned with 3/4" being too small. Does this funny pipe and fitting cause much problems...? Clogging, kinks, others i don't know about? Does anybody else have more input to this matter, So far, Thanks for the replies.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 28th 2005, 4:51am

Funny pipe will be easy and work fine. Go with real funny pipe. It is self sealing so you dont need any pipe clams either. Get fpt funnypipe fitting and screw that on to the riser after taking off the rotor. Run your funny pipe the distance you need then a 3/4 mpt funny pipe fitting screw the rotor onto that and put it in the ground.
Thanks,

Pete

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, April 28th 2005, 2:55pm

By the way, stick with the 'name brand' funny pipe fittings, either Toro or Rainbird.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Friday, April 29th 2005, 5:46am

Have you had trouble with others?
Thanks,

Pete

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, April 29th 2005, 5:23pm

Different plastic material in the name brands. Tighten a no-name into a threaded insert fitting, and it can bind. Then the barbed end you're pushing against can break right off. No fun at all.

Rate this thread