You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

hiyamoose

Unregistered

Sunday, July 20th 2014, 11:11am

Valve replacement

So I have owned the house a year and projects galore. One of them is a zone in a 5 zone Toro system. The valve fuse kept blowing. I've traced it to the appropriate valve whose connections were corroded. One was completely severed.

So, the valve is older than god knows what and I doubt I will find a replacement "top" for it. It also is so old that the solenoid is not detachable from what I can tell. I had the top off yesterday, but the brass encases the solenoid and some sort of set screw is not budging even after so lock-ease.

So....advice please. Do I:

solder new leads to the solenoid? (not preferred as I am not fond of Rube Goldberg-ing anything electrical)

find a replacement top? (doubtful I can given the age)

pull the valve out and replace it entirely? (what I am leaning towards)

And if I pull it out, I know I will have to saw the PVC end. How can I get any torque on the valve to unscrew it from the water lead pipe? If it is as old as I suspect (the other valves were replaced and don't match this one), how difficult will it be to get off?

Thanks in advance!!!
jason

hiyamoose

Unregistered

Sunday, July 20th 2014, 11:15am

RE: Valve replacement

Sorry. Better pics here.

hiyamoose

Unregistered

Sunday, July 20th 2014, 11:17am

RE: RE: Valve replacement

Sorry. Better pics here.

hiyamoose

Unregistered

Sunday, July 20th 2014, 11:23am

RE: RE: RE: Valve replacement

Sorry. Hope this posts.

hiyamoose

Unregistered

Sunday, July 20th 2014, 11:28am

RE: RE: RE: RE: Valve replacement

hiyamoose

Unregistered

Sunday, July 20th 2014, 11:32am

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Valve replacement

Got it...finally...

hiyamoose

Unregistered

Sunday, July 20th 2014, 11:33am

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Valve replacement

https://flic.kr/p/ooZUfz

Just cut and paste it...

hiyamoose

Unregistered

Sunday, July 20th 2014, 11:36am

RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: RE: Valve replacement

https://www.flickr.com/photos/42432960@N07/14700108965/

Replacing the valve has to be easier than posting this pic. ;(

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 20th 2014, 12:14pm

RE: RE: Valve replacement

You have what looks like a Buckner brass valve, which is long out of production. The solenoid for it, however, is a match for the common solenoids used in many valves, so a replacement for the solenoid is a sure thing. You have to put the brass valve back together, in order to easily remove the old solenoid, by way of the screwdriver slot in the stainless steel portion of the top of the old solenoid.

Sorry. Better pics here.

Hiyamoose

Unregistered

Sunday, July 20th 2014, 12:45pm

RE: RE: RE: Valve replacement

Thanks!!! So glad to hear it is just a matter of replacing the solenoid which is the best i could have hoped for.

The screw though...Not so easily removed. I replaced the top yesterday and Used lock-ease now. Screw drivers are not doing the trick and i am worried an electric drill will strip it. Any advice? Will resoak and let it sit with some with lock ease and see whether it gives. It has to come out. I just cannot get it going.

Rate this thread