You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

vtmatt2000

Unregistered

Thursday, July 24th 2014, 9:25am

Pipe Sizine

Getting ready to add irrigation to the entrance of my property, about 900' from the house. I am on a well with about 18gpm @ 50psi (at the house). I had planned on running 1 1/4" sch40 PVC to the entrance (will need 4 zones). Any idea on the psi loss? 40 psi is about the minimum on the HUNTER PGP heads that I use.
Thanks

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 24th 2014, 10:45am

Unless you can adjust your pressure switch to have the pump cut-off at 70 psi or so, you are going to have to oversize this 900-foot line in order to save pressure for the heads to run near to 40 psi from a 50 psi supply. Holding the loss to around 2 psi at 18 gpm would require a 2-inch pipe size, compared to a loss of 16 psi if you used a 1-1/4 sch 40 PVC line (your material choice will depend on your location)