You are not logged in.

MikeCa

Sunday, July 27th 2014, 5:15pm

Brown water in house after running sprinklers

Hi all --

I turned on my irrigation system today (Rainbird controller, six zones, approximately 25 heads) and I have brown water in my home after running the sprinklers. The brown water only comes after running the sprinklers, it doesn't happen after I turn on the valves supplying water to the solenoid.

I thought it could be a problem with the backflow preventer but I replaced it with new parts from Home Depot. It's a FEBCO 765 PVBA.

Any thoughts? I am lost with this, I can't imagine dirt is coming from the sprinker lines, through the backflow preventer and into the potable water of the home. But maybe it is...?

Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 27th 2014, 9:51pm

By any chance are you on well water?

MikeCa

Sunday, July 27th 2014, 10:00pm

By any chance are you on well water?
I am not on well water, I am on city water. It's a pretty clear cause and effect, I can have the system on (main irrigation valve open and the valves before and after the PVBA open) with clean water in the house. But if I am running a zone then very clearly brown water comes out of any of the faucets.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 28th 2014, 7:47am

You might leave the sprinkler system out of it, but duplicate its flow by opening all the faucets on sinks and bathtubs, and if you aren't seeing brown water by then, open some outdoor hose bibs.

Talk to the water department, and see if they have a schedule of flushing the mains, which gets rid of sediment in the system.

MikeCa

Monday, July 28th 2014, 8:32am

You might leave the sprinkler system out of it, but duplicate its flow by opening all the faucets on sinks and bathtubs, and if you aren't seeing brown water by then, open some outdoor hose bibs.

Talk to the water department, and see if they have a schedule of flushing the mains, which gets rid of sediment in the system.
I see, you are suggesting that maybe there is sediment in the main water system and only the sprinkler system is active enough to aggitate the existing sediment?

Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, July 28th 2014, 4:45pm

It could be that you have a steel supply line to the house, and the sediment is in there.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 30th 2014, 3:01am

Have you had your backflow device inspected. There are two main components to the Febco 765. There is the air inlet through the poppet and bonnet. This is the most common repair part addressed. Just below the air inlet is the check valve, which is a common repair that will need to be addressed. The only way to see that it needs work or replacement is through a backflow Inspection.
It could be that your backflow device is either not installed correctly, it may be the wrong type of device, or it may need to be repaired or replaced.
Check out www.backflowinformation.com
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

Rate this thread