You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

rocky2

Monday, May 9th 2005, 9:57am

Nelsons 6000 heads

Hi

I have Nelsons 6000 heads in my irrigation system,I have not had to much trouble with the 6000 head,until now,

I had sytem installed in 1993. the last 2 years when I shut off zones the heads stick up,and I have to go around and push them all down,also heads leak around this seal.

The Nelson corp said to solve this problem I would have to install a new cap and seal which would cost $5.16 each.

I can purchase a new Nelson 6000 head from Sprinkler whse for $8.94 so I guess it would be better to install new heads at that price.

another way I could go would to install Hunter PGP heads that cost $9.95 each or Rainbird R-50 for$10.35

I take my water out of the lake so I have been running 9 to 10 heads at one time.

What do you think on this.
I would appreciate any advice or help I can get.

thanks
Rocky

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 9th 2005, 1:42pm

Of all the heads you've mentioned, the Rainbird R-50's have the best seals.

rocky2

Monday, May 9th 2005, 2:27pm

Wet Boots

Thanks for your reply,doyou have Rainbirds R-50 on your system and if so How long have you had them,I am thinking of just replacing one zone at a time for now just to see how they work,I do not know if it is to good to mix up heads like this,what do you think.

thanks again
Rocky

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Monday, May 9th 2005, 10:49pm

Rocky,
First of all, anything is better than the Nelson heads, they are junk. Secondly, I would suggest the PGP or I-20 Rotor from Hunter. Each contractor has their own preference as far as sprinkler heads go, and so opinions will vary. I do know that I have installed many many PGP and I-20 sprinkler heads, and have never had a problem. For the money, the PGP is an excellent sprinkler. As for replacing heads a zone at a time, that should be alright. As long as all the sprinkler heads on that particular zone have the same precip. rate, you will be fine. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 10th 2005, 1:56am

The fact that the water is drawn from a lake makes it possible that it contains particles that can interfere with sprinkler operation. That is one reason I would lean toward the R-50, which is capable of working with lake water better than the Nelsons. The seals on a R-50 are as good or better than anything ever made. Rainbird holds the patent on the seal, so you don't see it in other brands. I've seen R-50 systems more than ten years old with zero seal failures.

The R-50 heads are a bit tricky to adjust, and often don't spray as far as a gear-drive rotor (Nelson, Hunter, Toro) so they aren't a real favorite. But they are very capable of performing at low pressures, like what you'd see in a pumped-lake-water system.

The Hunter will directly replace a Nelson, without additional digging. The R-50's are the same height, but wider in diameter.

rocky2

Wednesday, May 11th 2005, 6:03pm

rocky2<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RidgeRun05</i>
<br />Rocky,
First of all, anything is better than the Nelson heads, they are junk. Secondly, I would suggest the PGP or I-20 Rotor from Hunter. Each contractor has their own preference as far as sprinkler heads go, and so opinions will vary. I do know that I have installed many many PGP and I-20 sprinkler heads, and have never had a problem. For the money, the PGP is an excellent sprinkler. As for replacing heads a zone at a time, that should be alright. As long as all the sprinkler heads on that particular zone have the same precip. rate, you will be fine. Good luck with whatever you choose.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi

Thanks for your reply,I think I will tke the PGP heads,My question is,can I take out the nelson 6000 heads and replace with the PGP heads without digging up around the heads,this would save a lot of work,Appreciate it if you could tell me how you replace the heads.

thanks
Rocky

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Friday, May 13th 2005, 5:41pm

Unscrew the Nelson sprinkler head, with the body of it still in the ground, and replace it with the Hunter "guts" or internals of the sprinkler - thread it into the Nelson sprinkler body that is in the ground.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

rocky2

Tuesday, May 17th 2005, 5:07pm

Ridgerun05

Thanks for your reply,This is what I was thinking would be a way of d\changing the heads.I was just trying to make sure this was ok.

thanks
Rocky2

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 18th 2005, 9:21pm

The Nelson sprinkler heads may have a 5 year warranty, and the PGP only a 2 year warranty, but the PGP will out perform the Nelson hands down. The Nelson heads are notorious for sticking up after the zone cycle has completed and for poor seals. Do you want to replace your sprinklers every 5 years or so, after the warranty is up? I have a couple of clients who have had the same PGP sprinkler heads for around 14 years now and have not had a problem with them. If you are looking for a longer warranty, Hunter also offers the I-20, which has a 5 year.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Struz

Saturday, June 4th 2005, 1:45pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RidgeRun05</i>
<br />Unscrew the Nelson sprinkler head, with the body of it still in the ground, and replace it with the Hunter "guts" or internals of the sprinkler - thread it into the Nelson sprinkler body that is in the ground.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Dear RidgeRun05,

I had underground sprinklers installed about 8 years ago. They installed Nelson sprinklers. I haven't had any problems with them until now. One of the heads is leaking around the seal. I saw your advice about replacing the head with Hunter guts. I ned to know what to order to do this. I'm going to order it online at Sprinkler Warehouse. I would like to keep the Nelson body in the ground to make it easier and just screw in a new head.

I have Nelson 6000 sprinkler heads.
Are there different sizes of Nelson heads ?

If I order this Hunter head (http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/detail.aspx?ID=414)
will it fit into the Nelson body ?

I'm also going to order the Hunter adjustment kit.
Is there any other tool I need ?

Thanks for your help.

Struz

Rate this thread