You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Marko1

Starting Member

Monday, August 4th 2014, 3:09pm

Air in irrigation System

Air in irrigation System

I have been experiencing air in my 4 zone irrigation system. When I turn on any zone the pressure at the sprinkler heads is barely enough to make them rise, and I hear air hissing through the selected zone valve. If I open the manual activation screw on the valve, air comes out for a little bit then the corresponding head gets full pressure. If I close the screw the hissing sound returns and pressure decreases. I am on the county water supply and since it is affecting all four zones my thought was the anti-siphon/back pressure valve maybe letting in air, I replaced and there was no improvement. There are no apparent leaks, cracks or water coming out anywhere around the valves. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. ?(

mrfixit

Monday, August 4th 2014, 6:29pm

I don't believe the problem is air in the valve. When you open the bleeder screw that would release any trapped air and the valve would still function when you closed the bleeder screw.
I don't believe air in the valve would keep it from coming on in the first place. It can however keep a valve from shutting off.
I believe there's a problem with all 4 valves.
Depending on which model valves you have will determine if you want to repair or replace them.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 5th 2014, 8:02am

There are devices made for removing air from a flow of water, but you never see them in sprinkler systems, because all their components operate on air as well as they do on water.