You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

lind

Friday, August 8th 2014, 9:18am

Legacy Irritrol Solenoids

I have inherited an older I believe irritrol sprinkler system. The solenoids online/in store do not work as replacements. The threads on the older solenoids are very short. The new replacements the threads are much longer and won't screw in tight. Can you find older solenoids ? Or bite the bullet and replace the whole valve ?

irrigirl

Unregistered

Friday, August 8th 2014, 11:58am

Irritrol Valves

I work for Irritrol. What color are the valves? And do they say Irritrol on them? Can you attach a picture?

lind

Friday, August 8th 2014, 12:24pm

The valves are gray. They do not say irritrol that I can find. I have replaced the diaphram once, so I believe it's an irritrol. I cant post a picture. I can't get the file size below 20k.

lind

Friday, August 8th 2014, 12:30pm

Here's the picture I hope the reduced pixels you can see the image.
lind has attached the following file:
  • Irritrol.jpg (18.42 kB - 48 times downloaded - Last download: Aug 21st 2014, 2:17pm)

mrfixit

Friday, August 8th 2014, 2:21pm

Take the white plastic retainer off of the solenoid and throw it away. It's that white ring that keeps the plunger from falling out.
Does it fit now?

lind

Friday, August 8th 2014, 4:18pm

I tried that it didn't work. The shaft, the threads are on is too long. The original solenoid threaded shaft is half the length.
So if you put both solenoids side by side the tip where the threads are, the original is about 50% shorter if that makes sense. I will post a picture of both when I get home.

lind

Friday, August 8th 2014, 4:43pm

Mrfixit,
Is there a place I can get some of the old valves to get the solenoids ?

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Friday, August 8th 2014, 5:36pm

Then you're doing something wrong or have the entirely wrong selonoid. The replacement would be an Irritrol 216B. Which would use the exact same selonoid.

Are you removing the o-ring? The new selonoid has an o-ring built in, so make sure you aren't doubling up on o-rings.

Did you purchase the selonoid only, or did you pull it off of a valve?

lind

Friday, August 8th 2014, 6:08pm

I bought just the solenoid, the guy at the counter said this is the one. The box description said for irritrol. I'm not sure if I removed the other o-ring which sits in the spot where you screw in the solenoid.

The part of the solenoid that screws into the valve is much longer than the original. Thanks for the tip, I will try installing without the o-ring. I will try that today and report back and post pictures of both solenoids.

lind

Friday, August 8th 2014, 6:09pm

I probably was doubling up on the o-rings. Will report back with my findings.