You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

mgerity

Wednesday, May 11th 2005, 2:41pm

Strange common wire setup

I am in the process of revitalizing a long dormant and neglected sprinkler system in the house I recently purchased. Right now the controller (hyrdro rain HRH-6) is running 5 zones, 2 in one box and 3 in another. There are 2 C wires attached at the controller, which go into the ground and I'm not sure where from there. I would expect one to go to each valve box, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The box with 2 valves has one C wire coming in connected to both valves, just like I'd expect. Unfortunately, the other one has 3 C wires (maybe 2 incoming and 1 outgoing?). One goes to 2 valves, the other goes to the 3rd valve and then back out of the box.

Any ideas why someone might have set this system up this way? Any reason why I can't just go with a single C wire for all 5 valves? I need to replace a couple of valves anyway, so I'll be doing some digging. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, May 11th 2005, 6:13pm

Before solid-state controllers, there used to be controllers with dual common wires. The system's original controller might have been one of those.

Rate this thread