You are not logged in.

bassadict69

Tuesday, August 26th 2014, 12:32pm

PVC joints breaking loose on intake pipe!

I have 2" pvc ran approximately 30' out into the lake for the intake on my pump. Several times I have had joints come apart somehow. Regardless of what I have tried or what glue I have tried, I continue to have problems. Any ideas or suggestions?

mrfixit

Tuesday, August 26th 2014, 1:00pm

On 2" pipe you should be using the thick grey glue. 711 glue You'll also need primer. Clean the pipe thoroughly with the primer.
Then use an ample amount of glue.
While inserting the pipe into the fitting turn the pipe 1/4 turn.
Hold the pipe in place for 30 seconds or more so the pipe doesn't come back out of the fitting.
Make sure there's no moisture mixing with the glue. If there is the pipe will come out of the fitting or leak.
Let the glue dry for 24 hours.
You should be good to go.

bassadict69

Tuesday, August 26th 2014, 2:53pm

I guess I will pulling the whole thing out of the lake to fix it! DANG! I don't guess there is anything out there that works underwater?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, August 26th 2014, 3:23pm

Consider a different material, like flexible schedule 40 PVC pipe for the intake. You can find it at suppliers who service the koi pond trade. Swimming pool plumbing also uses it. The dimensions allow it to be glued into sch 40 PVC fittings, and there are also some special ($$$) barbed fittings it can be clamped over. It is capable of enduring winter temperatures (after you drain the above-water portion)

mrfixit

Tuesday, August 26th 2014, 4:22pm

Just out of curiosity. How often does it freeze in Benton Louisiana?

bassadict69

Tuesday, August 26th 2014, 4:46pm

Maybe once a year will temps get below freezing and stay a few days...that is a BIG maybe. Normal winters, we may have temps slightly below freezing but rebound above freezing during the day.

bassadict69

Tuesday, August 26th 2014, 4:47pm

Consider a different material, like flexible schedule 40 PVC pipe for the intake. You can find it at suppliers who service the koi pond trade. Swimming pool plumbing also uses it. The dimensions allow it to be glued into sch 40 PVC fittings, and there are also some special ($$$) barbed fittings it can be clamped over. It is capable of enduring winter temperatures (after you drain the above-water portion)

I will look into that...

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, August 27th 2014, 7:28am

I don't recommend the flexible PVC with freezing in mind, but we are able to keep it in place on a surface-water intake all year round, on pumps that stay in place all year round. Those pumps get drained, and even blown out with winterizing air, and the PVC connection to the brass check valve on the cast iron pumps is cracked open, so water can drain back to the pond level. No foot valves, obviously, with this approach.