You are not logged in.

Friday, May 13th 2005, 12:10pm

Zone problems

I'm having several zone problems.
1. It started with zone 7 of a 7 zone system. The zone kicks on but there doesn't seem to be enough water pressure for the sprinkler heads to come all the way out of the ground. This is a consistant problem.
2. Then I noticed that zone 4 works intermittantly - some times the water only comes out a little bit and other times the zone works fine. Then I noticed zone 5 occasionally has the same problem although most of the time, it works just fine.
3. This morning, I noticed that zone 1 and zone 2 were on at the same time - the system was running on automatic timer mode which just cycles through each zone one at a time.

I'm not sure if these issues are all interelated or if I have several problems going on at once. Any thoughts on what problems I have and how to attack it?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 13th 2005, 3:40pm

A zone is probably sticking open. It's a mechanical problem with the valve, most likely.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Friday, May 13th 2005, 5:31pm

You may have multiple valves sticking open if you having the problem on more than one zone. Or, in the case of not having enough water, it might not be opening all the way. How old is the system? Was the system flushed of debris when it was installed? What type of valves and controller do you have? If all of the zones are getting at least some water, then the valves are all working, and you can pretty much eliminate a wiring issue. I would point toward the valves for your first option.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Saturday, May 14th 2005, 4:35am

The system is probably around 12-15 years old. I believe the valves are Hunter. I've only found 3 valve boxes so I think I might have some 2 or 3 valve manifold systems although I'm not sure. I wasn't the original owner when the system was installed so I don't know if it was flushed of debris or not. This is the first time I'm experiencing these problems. The controller is a Richdal by Hardie Irrigation. With regard to two zones coming on at one time, does that sound like a valve issue, a wiring issue, or a controller issue?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, May 14th 2005, 5:13am

I vaguely remember older Hunter SRV valves having some issues. You might look for a date-of-manufacture and contact Hunter. At worst, you might be looking at a need to switch out the valve internals and covers, in order to get proper operation.

Monday, May 16th 2005, 10:23am

What's involved in switching out valve internals and covers? I'm an old hand at replacing sprinkler heads but have never tackled valves before. Is it equally simple or is this much more complex? Do I need to dig everything out at the valve box or do I just come in through the top of the valve box and unscrew at the top and start replacing various parts? Will I need to reattach to the water lines below? I think I may have valve manifolds. Are these screwing things in and out or will I have to be glueing stuff?

Also, do you think changing out these valve internals and covers will address the issue of zone 1 and zone 2 coming on at the same time?

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Monday, May 16th 2005, 1:21pm

Shouldn't be a problem at all to replace the internal parts of the valves. You probably won't need to dig around the valves unless you feel you don't have enough room to work in the valve boxes. As far as the Hunter valves go, I believe most of them have 4 screws and the top just tops right off (you need to unscrew the solenoid first), unless they are jar-top valves, which I doubt because the jar-top valves are a newer feature. Simple as switching out the parts once the top cover is popped off. There should be no gluing involved, and you shouldn't have to re-connect anything to the mainline (or waterpipe). As for your problem with Zone 1 and 2, it could fix it, but there might be other underlying problems as well.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, May 16th 2005, 6:57pm

First off, double check that a valve isn't 'mechanically open' by making sure each solenoid is fully threaded into place. Partially unscrewing a solenoid will cause the valve to stay open.

Rate this thread