You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Jim L

Friday, May 13th 2005, 1:45pm

Tennis Court sprinklers Hard-Tru courts

I am in charge of my swim and tennis club hard-tru tennis courts. We have 4 courts with 3 Hunter PGP heads on each and 1 Hunter PGP head between the 2 courts. I'm and avid tennis player but a novice with sprinklers, but getting a crash course. I'm looking to change the heads so that the water spray is finer and that they work properly. I have adjusted 4 or 5 heads numerous times, they will work properly for a few days and then have a mind of there own. The heads are stamped with 97, 99, 02, on them. I assume that is when they were made. Please help!!!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 13th 2005, 3:38pm

I rather thought that tennis courts were watered to keep dust down, and the optimum sprinkler head would rotate more quickly than usual. If you can, you might try see what nozzles are on those heads (they have a number to the right of the break-up screw) You may have alternatives.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Friday, May 13th 2005, 5:37pm

Yes, you are right, the numbers on the top of the head are the year of manufacture. Like Wetboots said, I would suggest that you check the nozzles first, you may be able to get a more appropriate spray by changing the nozzle. Also, your sprinkler heads are getting pretty old, if they are not operating properly, you may consider replacing them. Just an FYI if you do replace them, the PGP heads have a 2 year warranty, and the I-20 has a 5 year warranty.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Jim L

Saturday, May 14th 2005, 8:21am

Thanks for the information, I will look at the sprinkler nozzles this weekend to see what I can find.

Jim L

Tuesday, May 17th 2005, 10:25am

The sprinkler nozzles are #8 on the Hunter PGP heads. Someone please recommend the appropriate Sprinkler brand and model # to use for Hard-Tru tennis courts, or is it a personnel preference. I am looking for a sprinkler head that will water the courts quickly and evenly through-out the entire spray pattern. Please help !!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 17th 2005, 4:48pm

You have a lot of water to work with, and that's good. A replacement has to figure in the distance it needs to throw. If the distance needed was less than 35 feet, you could use a Rainbird R-50 head with a #3 (grey) Rain Curtain nozzle. Very even throw, and quicker rotation than Hunter heads. In fact, the rotation can be speeded up by an adjustment in the head. The head is the same height as a Hunter, but is bigger around than the Hunter. A little easier to use would be a Rainbird 5004 (with a 4.0 nozzle) - Same slower rotation as a Hunter, but with better water spread. Same size, too, so replacement is easy.

Rate this thread