You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Jia

Unregistered

Tuesday, September 2nd 2014, 9:36am

Re-newing old Champion brass valves.

Hello,

I have a couple of Champion brass valves. One of them is causing water accumulating around a sprinkler at low spot. When I check the valve, some water appears to have leaked throw the screws and ended up at the top of the valve. So I replaced the diaphragms. That has significantly reduced the water accumulation around the sprinkler. However, there is still a tiny bit of water seeping through a couple of screws. Also, when I installed the new diaphragm, I have to really tighten the screw, other wise water would seep out between the valve body and cap. I wonder if there are other parts that need to be replaced as well. But I can't tell how to take it apart. I'm concerned that I may break the connected PVC pipes. Is there anywhere I can get hold some instruction or drawing of these valves?

Thanks
Jia

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, September 2nd 2014, 10:25am

These valves service differently than most anything else, because the entire actuator assembly can be removed and replaced, by any number of different makes and models of actuators. The actuator itself might be repairable, but the economics generally favor complete actuator replacement.

In any event, you must completely remove the actuator from the valve, before you can take it apart for repair. That will involve removing the cover for the vacuum breaker, at which point you might want to renew the components of the vacuum breaker. Look here for the various service kits.

Rate this thread