You are not logged in.

alexkerri

Starting Member

Thursday, September 4th 2014, 3:25pm

Adding spigot to spare zone

First post and looking for opinions from the experts. I've got a spare zone on my controller and would like to run a valve and line to the driveway with a spigot to wash the cars. Im afraid if it is left idle too long the pump will destroy itself. Is there any type of blowout/pressure relief valve that can be installed on the line that could vent if to much pressure builds up. I admit, I'm trying to go the cheapest route here while protecting the pump. IE, I dont really want to have to replace the controller to be able to use a pressure shtoff sensor with the pump. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Alex

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Thursday, September 4th 2014, 7:41pm

If your pump isn't controlled by a pressure switch, it should have pressure relief valve installed to prevent deadheading the pump. If not, install one. As for spigots on pumps, not recommended. You're better off tying the spigot into the mainline and operating a zone when you want to wash the car. Or install a tank and pressure switch.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, September 5th 2014, 8:27am

You can add a pressure switch (set very high) and a (small) pressure tank, without abandoning the pump relay control. While that doesn't give you hose use without pump cycling, it does allow your proposed hose bib addition without pump deadheading.

By the way, if there isn't already a pressure relief valve in the setup, someone has been very derelict in their duty.

Rate this thread