You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

BCRUMB

Sunday, May 22nd 2005, 2:15am

WELL UNDER SWMING POOL?

I had an inground pool installed several years ago. During the installation phase, the ground water nearly filled the deep end of the pool with water. The installer told me I could probably run a sprinkler system from the water under the pool. There a permanently installed pipe running down there to be used to pump out the ground water for liner replacement later if needed. My question is, would it be pheasible to pump this water to supply a sprinkler system I am thinking of installing. If so, what size pump would I need? My main concern is that I don't know how fast the water would flow into the area once the pump is started. I have a swamp behind my house and a few wet spots in the yard, so the water table is very high. My intensions were to try this and if it did not work out, I would then tie on the the house supply system.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Bcrumb

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 22nd 2005, 11:28am

Given a big budget, you can make the pumped-pool-liner water supply work, but you have to determine how much of a flow you can sustain. Don't expect much, but you might luck out. It takes the combination of high water table and sandy or gravelly soil to get the best results. Figure a half-horsepower pump, which, by the way, is about all you can run on a typical circuit. If you test it out, and get a sustainable flow, come back for further advixe. Come back anyway, to inform us of the test results.

BCRUMB

Sunday, May 22nd 2005, 5:42pm

Thanks for the info WB. I live in Ga so the chances of sandy or rocky soil are pretty slim. Most likely red clay, but they did dump a load of gravel down there before finishing the pool. The pipe installed under the pool is 1.5 inch PVC. I don't think a 1/2 HP pump will supply enough water though, do you? Most lake pump recommendations I have read about suggested 1.5 HP pumps. I plan to water between 15 and 20 thousand square feet. I guess the only way to find out is to rent a gas powered pump and test the flow, agree? I am willing to cut the zone sizes down if necessary in order to get free water, especially since I have to pay an equal amount for sewer on all the water I use.

Bcrumb

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, May 22nd 2005, 11:54pm

It is very unlikely that enough water will flow through heavy clay soil quickly enough to give you what flow that you need, even if you had a more conventional well point. Where a big budget comes in, is when a tiny ground water supply is pumped into a separate reservoir or water tank(s) and in turn, is pumped into a lawn sprinkler system.

BCRUMB

Wednesday, July 20th 2005, 2:49pm

Thought I would update. Have 1-1/4 pvc running under pool. Connected 1/2 hp pump. Filed up 5 gal bucket in approx 12 seconds(25gpm). Ran for 1 hr, then went dry. Left off for 30 min and it ran for another 25 min before going dry. To me this means there is enough water down there to use for my system. May have to allow for 10 minute rebuild period between watering zones.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 20th 2005, 5:42pm

Well, that's good performance. If you throttled the discharge of that half-horse pump, you might achieve continuous pumping. And when you operate with higher pressure from that pump, that's what you'll be doing. With around 10 gpm or more, you'll be in good shape. And, by the way, you could also configure the system to use 'dirty water' sprinkler heads and valves, and reduce the filtering required.

Rate this thread