You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

chgoace

Unregistered

Thursday, October 23rd 2014, 2:30pm

system won't hold air pressure to winterize

in the process of winterizing the system, I was blowing out each run with compressed air. i've done this every year for the last 8 years. in blowing out one line, I lost all air pressure and the system no longer holds any air pressure. I filled the system back up with water and there are no leaks. the house water meter shows no flow, no wet spots in the valve boxes or in the yard. could it be a faulty back flow preventer, a stuck open valve, a system leak? these all would have produced water flow when the system is filled with water.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 23rd 2014, 2:51pm

You either need a much bigger compressor, or you need zone valves with flow controls you can throttle down, or completely shut, if need be for winterizing.

It doesn't matter for how many years you had no problems, only the flow-control valves are a sure cure for a system like yours.

chgoace

Unregistered

Thursday, October 23rd 2014, 3:11pm

one other point - after I filled the system back up with water, it will hold air pressure. but as soon as I open up a valve and all the water is pushed out, it again won't hold air pressure.

chgoace

Unregistered

Thursday, October 23rd 2014, 4:25pm

thanks Wet Boots.

the valves are the original 1" weathermatic jar valves. i've had to replace 4 of the weathermatic M24 solenoids. each valve has a toggle to open or shut the valve. would the toggle be sufficient to shut off the flow or do I need to switch out all the valves to flow control? I already switched out the one valve for the last run that I was flushing when it started acting up. but I didn't put in a flow control valve.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, October 23rd 2014, 6:42pm

It must be an actual flow control, and nearly every valve made can be had in a flow-control version. "Jar-top" valves can be an exception, or can require extra work to convert to flow-control type. (on traditional valve construction, installing a flow-control bonnet/cover gets you there)

Rate this thread