You are not logged in.

DanielF

Unregistered

Saturday, June 24th 2023, 12:07pm

Champion AS 466 Valve Help..

Does anyone know the best way to unscrew a very stingy anti-siphon cap on a 20-25 yr old champion AS 466 valve? I’m trying to replace an old plastic actuator (Hardie) that sprung a leak on one of my Champion irrigation valves, and the anti siphon cap of the old brass valve needs to be removed in order to replace the actuator. I’ve tried a pipe wrench, but the anti siphon cap won’t budge…I don’t see a spot where I could spray any liquid wrench to get down to the threads…I thought about heating up the brass threading under the cap, but that would probably ruin the anti siphon plastic/rubber components….I thought about using a plumbers belt wrench, but haven’t tried that option yet…….I didn’t think taking off the anti-siphon cap was going to be so difficult…..any help would be appreciated!

Thanks! ????

mrfixit

Saturday, June 24th 2023, 5:35pm

Every scenario's different. Are the pipes galvanized? If so, do the pipe wrench again. You could try the liquid wrench on the washer between the cap and the body. I don't know what it will do but it can't hurt.
I wouldn't worry about heating it up. A heat gun would work well. The components should be changed anyway. They've been in there a while if there's a Hardie valve adapter attached to it. Plus you probably wont damage what's in there. Just get a float kit if need be.
I've broken off the cap 3 or 4 times over the years. It's sort of a gamble sometimes. If so, I'll unscrew the bottom half of the cap so I can replace it, using a pipe wrench.
If the pipes are pvc, how about just cutting the whole thing off?
Get a piece of pipe to make the pipe wrench longer. The one I use the most is about 2 1/2 feet long. I have a 6 footer just in case. I snapped the galvanized pipe in half with it trying to unscrew a broke off nipple. lol
So, make the pipe wrench longer, close ur eyes and break it loose. lol If the pipe are plastic then you'll need two wrenches. Because you will break the pipe if you're not careful.
Go for it!

DanielF

Unregistered

Saturday, June 24th 2023, 8:12pm

I've broken off the cap 3 or 4 times over the years. It's sort of a gamble sometimes. If so, I'll unscrew the bottom half of the cap so I can replace it, using a pipe wrench.
If the pipes are pvc, how about just cutting the whole thing off?
Get a piece of pipe to make the pipe wrench longer. The one I use the most is about 2 1/2 feet long. I have a 6 footer just in case. I snapped the galvanized pipe in half with it trying to unscrew a broke off nipple. lol
So, make the pipe wrench longer, close ur eyes and break it loose. lol If the pipe are plastic then you'll need two wrenches. Because you will break the pipe if you're not careful.
Go for it!

Appreciate the help! I didn’t think the anti-siphon caps are replaceable….it seems that Champion has discontinued these caps…I couldn’t find anywhere online that I could purchase one in case I ruined it.

My valves are attached to 1” pvc pipes…I do understand needing to use opposing forces when trying to take off these anti-siphon caps…you can see the pvc bend on lightly moderate torque. I guess I could cut off the valves and work on them off the pvc pipes, but this scenario starts to spiral downward quickly…might as well just replace all my old valves with new ones then…I have 5 champion brass valves.

I will try the heat gun to unfreeze the old brass thread connection and may just hit that old gasket under the cap with some liquid wrench….

Rate this thread