You are not logged in.

Brockdog12

Wednesday, July 26th 2023, 9:22am

Would this work?

Been a long time since I have posted here. I have a 9 zone system that came with the house, I have been in the house 7 years and maintaining things myself. Found to have a broken wire to station 9 after station 9 quick working a few years back. Bought and installed an AAZ I'm running it off station 2, worked great for a while and has quit again. I swapped out the AAZ and station 9 is still dead. solenoids are new. My question is, since the valves run off 24VAC, can I buy a 24VAC transformer and hot shot the 24VAC directly to the station to see if it will turn on? I also now have a dead station 7. TIA!

mrfixit

Wednesday, July 26th 2023, 2:47pm

I don't recall ever doing that with a transformer. I probably have but it was half a lifetime ago. lol I don't see why it wouldn't work. Or, you could hook up three 9 volt batteries in tandem. They will activate a 24v solenoid. Or you could use the wires from number 2 since it's working and near 9.
I suspect that there's a problem with the number 9 valve since number 2 is working and they're both using the same wires. It's also possible that the controller isn't working on 9.
Jobs like this one are super simple to figure in person. It's either no power or the valve needs repair of replaced or adjusted. Could be the diaphragm.
A volt meter could come in handy about now.
Sometimes you need to run a new bundle of wires.
You could use a battery operated controller at the valves bypassing the problem wires.
You could trace down the broken wires to see if they're repairable.
Do you know the model of the valves?

Brockdog12

Tuesday, August 1st 2023, 7:27am

AC adapter test worked great. After looking closer, I noticed the two valves not operating had no ground wire to them, it had come loose somehow. I attached it momentarily and 7 popped on, I had it active at the time. 9 I know has a broken wire between the garage and the first valve box, I need to double check the AAZ wiring to it.

I'm on my 3rd controller, original blown to hell by a lightning strike, literally, blew the door half off and the control knob flew across the garage and the replacement was a quick fix. Replaced it with a wifi model, works great.
Not sure of the valves, system was installed in 2006.