You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Patrick Trainor

Starting Member

Friday, August 4th 2023, 1:07am

Toro 250-06-04 valve does not operate when controller turned on

I have 4 in-ground stations using Toro 250 valves with bleed screws and flow controls. Water is about 42 PSI. 1 station with 4 sprinkler heads, does not function at all, while other 3 stations operate all pop-up sprinkler heads properly from the B Hyve controller which is 2 years old. None of the 4 are drip systems. I have performed 5 electrical tests with Klein multimeter for AC voltage and ohms at 3 separate times. All 3 sets of tests confirm that the AC volt power and Ohm continuity/resistance are within proper limits. So there is no problem with voltage or resistance or wiring from the power pack to the controller to the valve or with the solenoid itself, which performs satisfactorily. I have re-stripped the common and live wires and replaced weatherproof screws and caps. I have removed the solenoid and cleaned its spring and piston, as well as removed the valve cover and disassembled the valve diaphragm and cleaned all parts including the flow control valve which I tested. I have re-assembled all and there are no leaks. When I turn on the controller, there is noise from the solenoid, indicating to me that it is receiving electrical current and is operable. The station only works if I unscrew the bleeder valve to the point where it is almost ready to pop off the threads. At that point, the 4 sprinkler heads pop up and operate properly. However as soon as I re-tighten the bleeder screw, the station shuts down, the sprinkler heads drop due to the lack of water pressure, indicating that the bleeder valve has stopped water from entering the diaphragm and pvc pipe. Any ideas on what might be the problem? I noted that the white plastic ring, part # 19 in the manual, does have several hairline cracks, but is not broken or cracked. Thanks.

mrfixit

Friday, August 4th 2023, 12:31pm

I would check the ports to see if one is clogged. Maybe the outlet port under the solenoid since the inlet seems to be clear because it comes on with the bleeder screw.
It's probably the diaphragm though. You have really low pressure and that diaphragm when it gets old, the rubber gets stiff.
You'll have to go to an irrigation supply store to get it. You could swap diaphragms with a valve that you know is working to see if it comes on after that.

Rate this thread