You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Friday, September 29th 2023, 8:20pm

Help me guess where to dig for line?

Hi All,

Great forum, I've browsed before, but joined today so I could ask a question. I'm trying to predict the location of the line feeding a sprinkler head. This 4 zone system is ancient - it's at least 38 years old, and probably more like 50. A recent driveway expansion has destroyed a head that's now under concrete. I'd like to find the line feeding that now-lost head and cap it, so that the rest of the zone can work.

My question is, if it were (say) 1970 in Michigan, and you were installing the poly line for a zone on one side of a property, would the line:
  • run zig-zag from head-to-head through the zone
  • or, would you be more likely to run a straight line coming down from one end of the zone to the other, and then T off that to each of the heads in between.
  • Or some other variation that's obvious to pros, but not to this complete novice?

This might help me decide where to dig to see if I can locate the line that fed the now-missing head for capping.

Thanks for any feedback!

P.S. I have a picture, but perhaps haven't yet earned the right to upload images? When I try to add an image, I'm ask for a URL.

mrfixit

Saturday, September 30th 2023, 4:38pm

I would imagine that everything is mostly straight lines and 90 degree angles. But you never know. It's literally impossible to know what someone may have done. You're just going on instinct to find it.
As far as uploading a picture goes, try this. Go to imgBB click on "start uploading". Leave it on "don't autodelete", click "upload", then under embedded codes, copy and paste to your post "BBCode full link". The pic will appear in your post.

Friday, October 6th 2023, 12:19pm

Thanks for the input @MRFIXIT. I'll try looking at the logical spot for a 90 degree connection.

Take care!