You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

drewdog

Monday, May 30th 2005, 11:31pm

low pressure 2 zones

I had a "professional" install a new front lawn and while he was in there, he talked me into replacing the existing sprinkler system with a new one since it was old. Well the old system worked just fine, but I didn't want any problems in the future. He replaced all of the electrical valves/controllers. When he finished with the front,zone one would take a few seconds to pop up and he would have to pump the sprinkler in zone 2 for it to work. he turned off a couple of sprinklers and zone 2 worked once. He told me that the water pressure was the problem and left. Pumping one of the sprinklers doesn't work anymore with zone 2. I don't think that the water pressure is the problem because zone 1 works and all of the zones in the back yard works great(the old system). I've read where the diaphram is the problem, but I don't know where to look. I only know where the controller is and the electrical valves are. I can fix cars and Harley's left handed,but I know nothing about spinklers!! Please help and sorry for such a long story

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 31st 2005, 7:10am

What is your water pressure? What kind of products did he use? How many sprinkler heads are on a zone? Did he just replace the sprinkler heads and the valves, and the controller, or did he replace the pipe fittings as well? What do you mean when you say he was "pumping" the sprinkler head to turn it on? A little bit more information will help better diagnose the problem.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 31st 2005, 7:37am

More info please
Thanks,

Pete

drewdog

Tuesday, May 31st 2005, 9:53am

He replaced everything,sprinkler heads,plumbing. there are six sprinklers in the troubled zone. The name of the system is 3/4" lawn genie. I don't know how to measure water pressure in that paticular zone, but I am assuming water pressure is good since all of the other zones work. I did notice water on top of one of the controllers.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 31st 2005, 11:14am

How many heads are on zone 1? Is he out of the picture now? I am guessing the zone 2 doesnt work either with the controller or mannually. Correct?
Thanks,

Pete

drewdog

Tuesday, May 31st 2005, 12:07pm

There are 6 heads in zone 1. I have been trying to contact the contractor, but am getting the run around. I think I just got burned(just like my grass in zone 2)

water miser

Tuesday, May 31st 2005, 4:21pm

i can not stand contractors that don't stand behind their work.i think your getting the run around because he has no clue about irrigation!sounds like one of the many hacks running around that call them selves professionals!you can buy a pressure gauge from home depot screw it on to an out side faucet closest to water meter and check your pressure.once you know your static pressure reply back with your water meter size,and service line size coming from the street.then we'll be able to tell you the maxium gpm's you can use on a zone.or you can use a method that will get you in the ballpark,it's not text book and i don't use it but it should get you close to the gpm's needed.open a faucet all the way and put a 5 gallon bucket underneath,time how long it takes to fill if it takes 30 seconds to fill five gallons then you should be close to getting 10 gpms per zone.like i said it's not text book the correct way is to reply back with the info stated above,then we'll go from there.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 31st 2005, 6:53pm

When you say water on top of one of the controllers, you are talking about the zone valves, correct? If so, you are probably losing a considerable amount of pressure from a leaking valve, and if the fly by nighter who installed has no clue of irrigation from his a**, when I wouldn't doubt it if the poor installation is causing the problem. Did he flush the lines of debris before installing the sprinkler heads? If your backyard zones work just fine with the same amount of heads, don't bother buying equipment to test your water pressure and measure GPM. I would be looking more towards the shotty installation for your problem. Call the BBB and report this so called "professional" if he refuses to come back and fix your problem.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread