You are not logged in.

dlim1000

Wednesday, June 22nd 2005, 11:38am

Which brands are best?

I am currently replacing my irrigation system. The previous contractor used cheap products and did not install them properly. I am thinking about using a Hunter Pro-C or Rainbird ESP-LX controller. I need to install a backflow preventer. Which companies make the best valves and sprayers? My yard is on a hillside. Does anyone have any experience with rainbird 1800-SAM and 1800-PRS-SAM sprayers? I would appreciate anyones opinions. Thanks in advance.

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 22nd 2005, 1:06pm

Both the Hunter Pro-C and the Rainbird ESP are great controllers. We install Hunter irrigation systems, so I am a lot more familiar with the Hunter products, but they both make excellent products. In my opinion, the Hunter controllers are a little bit easier to program, and have a few more options than Rainbird, but the choice is generally user preference and what options you want/need. I only install Febco backflow devices here, haven't installed anything else. We have tested and serviced others, but never installed anything but Febco, they make excellent backflow devices. Again, being a Hunter system installer, I only install Hunter valves, and I think they are great. Excellent durability, operation, and ease of service, expecially the jar top valves. Both the Rainbird 1800 series and the Hunter Pro Sprays are the spray head of choice in the field. I used to install the 1800 sprays, and they are nice, but the new Pro Sprays by Hunter are a lot nicer. The spray is a lot more uniform, and the internal retraction spring is a lot heavier guage, resulting in a better retraction of the sprinkler head when the zone shuts off (a lot of other brand sprays seem to stick up and stay up after the zone shuts off, particularly the Nelson heads). Again, just my opinion, there are other contractors on here that have others opinions, its all just a matter of preference. Bottom line, Hunter and Rainbird are both great, and either will be a huge improvement over the cheap products you have now.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

bjlawnman

Saturday, June 25th 2005, 7:59am

dont use rainbird i have seen them work and the hunter pgps, pgjs and the prosprays are the best heads. they are also very easy to adjust and probably one of the most durable

Rate this thread