You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

bjlawnman

Friday, June 24th 2005, 1:50pm

addtion to new sprinkler system

hi we just moved into a new house and it has an existing sprinkler system but it doesnt cover the whole yard. i have got a couple of quotes to finish it but it it very expensive so i hope to do it myself. i had determined that i need about 25 to 30 more heads to finish it and i was wondering how i can find the main line and how do i T off of that? and suggestions would be great
thanks bj

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, June 24th 2005, 2:00pm

Get a shovel. You have to dig in a control wire anyway, to feed new zone valves for your addition, and for the money, nothing beats a shovel and your hard work.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 25th 2005, 4:27am

Look for the main coming out of your base ment. Go down to the basement and start looking of a PVC puipe that goes through the wall. Also your main should have a back flow device. It is likely that somewhere around your house youll see a pvc pipe out of the ground with a bell shaped thing on top. Look at sprinkler warehouse fo examples. http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Custom/tscatlist.asp?PID=221 This is your main line. Once you have located your main let us know what it is made of and the diameter of the pipe.

Also tell us why is the current system not sufficient. Poor head to head coverage(dry spots)? or just want to increase the are irrigated?
Thanks,

Pete

bjlawnman

Saturday, June 25th 2005, 7:55am

when they built the house they only had money to put in an irrigation system for half of the yard. i was also wondering the controller i have right now is not expandable should i get a whole new controller like the hunter icc or just have a separate controller for the rest of the yard i'm gonna be finishing. what do u guys think of rainbird compared to hunter? right now i have hunter pgp's but they are pretty costly. would i be happy using a rainbird head?

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 25th 2005, 9:54am

First of all, When you add onto the system if your controller is not expandable, you are going to want to replace it with one that will manage the amount of zones you are planning on adding, and leave room for some future expansion if need be (you don't want to have to replace the controller again in a couple of years). If you going anything over 12 zones, I would suggest the Hunter ICC controller, that will suit your irrigation system well, and is much more expandable than the Pro-C. Having two controller will be a pain in the neck to coordinate with one and other, and too much of a hassle. If you want to the upgrade the system, you'll have to spend some money and do it right. Secondly, as far as your sprinkler heads go, I would suggest sticking with the PGP heads over Rainbird. As far as cost issue goes, if you compare a standard PGP head to a Rainbird 5000 series head, the cost is less than a dollar more per head. I would suggest going with that you trust and feel comfortable with, which judging by one of your other posts, I would think would be Hunter.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">bjlawnman wrote:
dont use rainbird i have seen them work and the hunter pgps, pgjs and the prosprays are the best heads. they are also very easy to adjust and probably one of the most durable<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

bjlawnman

Tuesday, July 19th 2005, 5:52pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RidgeRun05</i>
<br />First of all, When you add onto the system if your controller is not expandable, you are going to want to replace it with one that will manage the amount of zones you are planning on adding, and leave room for some future expansion if need be (you don't want to have to replace the controller again in a couple of years). If you going anything over 12 zones, I would suggest the Hunter ICC controller, that will suit your irrigation system well, and is much more expandable than the Pro-C. Having two controller will be a pain in the neck to coordinate with one and other, and too much of a hassle. If you want to the upgrade the system, you'll have to spend some money and do it right. Secondly, as far as your sprinkler heads go, I would suggest sticking with the PGP heads over Rainbird. As far as cost issue goes, if you compare a standard PGP head to a Rainbird 5000 series head, the cost is less than a dollar more per head. I would suggest going with that you trust and feel comfortable with, which judging by one of your other posts, I would think would be Hunter.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">bjlawnman wrote:
dont use rainbird i have seen them work and the hunter pgps, pgjs and the prosprays are the best heads. they are also very easy to adjust and probably one of the most durable<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

bjlawnman

Tuesday, July 19th 2005, 5:57pm

thanks guys for the input i appreciate it

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 19th 2005, 8:18pm

Anytime. If you have any others questions or comments, let us know. Maybe we can help you out further, or you can help someone else out.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread