You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Ywater

Wednesday, June 29th 2005, 5:10am

Controllers

I have a 6 station rainbird controller that appears to be going bad. Manual start will not work. Can I replace this controller with a Hunter 9 station controller? Can I simply install the new controller with in the current state or will I need additional wiring, etc.? Is this a do-it-herself project.

bobw

Advanced Member

Wednesday, June 29th 2005, 12:02pm

You should have no problem doing this yourself. Just write down the order that the wires were connected in the old controller and connect them the same in the new one and you should be set to go.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 29th 2005, 12:28pm

Do you really need a nine zone controller, if a six zone was enough until now? (of course, if you want to expand a system in the future, now would be the time to make preparations for it)

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Wednesday, June 29th 2005, 6:40pm

Your better off upgrading to a larger controller, the cost comparison between the 6 station and the 9 station is that significant, and if you ever want to add additional zones, you won't have to replace the controller, again. If your wires are color coded, IE a different color wire for each zone, then write down the color wire and the zone number and just swap out the controllers, connecting the wires to their respective terminals on the new controller. If they are not color coded, you can label them with tape and a marker. Also, generally the Common wire is white, but that is not always the case. This is a fairly simple job for the DIYer.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Ywater

Thursday, June 30th 2005, 4:35am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bobw</i>
<br />You should have no problem doing this yourself. Just write down the order that the wires were connected in the old controller and connect them the same in the new one and you should be set to go.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">[:)]Thank You

Rate this thread