You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

goerm

Starting Member

Thursday, June 30th 2005, 12:17pm

Valve Boxs underwater

Because of a low spot in my yard and lack of drainage due to clay soil one of my valve boxs in always filled with water. It does not seem to be hurting the function except for the wires are extremely brittle. Is this something to be concerned about?

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 30th 2005, 6:38pm

Over time this could lead to reducing the life of the valves wiring (as you stated the wires are already brittle), and if the wires are starting to become brittle, its only a matter of time before they corrode and snap apart. The valves are waterproof, obiviously, because of their location and use, and the wire connections are waterproof if you used the proper splices, but prolonged exposure to standing water over time can hurt the wire connections, or the wire itself. If you want to try and remedy the problem, I would suggest digging out an area around the valve, removing the clay, and add some pea gravel to the bottom of the valve box. Depending upon how much water you have in this spot, that should help drain some of the water away without causing too much distruption and spending a lot of money. Of course there are other alternatives, but they are far more expensive. Hope this helps.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Thursday, June 30th 2005, 6:38pm

Over time this could lead to reducing the life of the valves wiring (as you stated the wires are already brittle), and if the wires are starting to become brittle, its only a matter of time before they corrode and snap apart. The valves are waterproof, obiviously, because of their location and use, and the wire connections are waterproof if you used the proper splices, but prolonged exposure to standing water over time can hurt the wire connections, or the wire itself. If you want to try and remedy the problem, I would suggest digging out an area around the valve, removing the clay, and add some pea gravel to the bottom of the valve box. Depending upon how much water you have in this spot, that should help drain some of the water away without causing too much distruption and spending a lot of money. Of course there are other alternatives, but they are far more expensive. Hope this helps.
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Rate this thread