You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 6th 2005, 11:10am

Now I Know Why This Is Taking So Long

No real question here, just groning about more issues that keep slowing me down.

I'm working on installing a combination sprinkler system and drip irrigation system, 4 zone sprinkler system for the yard and 4 zone drip irrigation system.

It's taking me FOREVER to get this thing done, and last night was a reminder WHY...

Last night, all I wanted to do was place a 3" x 8' PVC sleave in the ground 6"-8" deep between the bushes and the side-walk. I figured it couldn't take more than about 2 hours.

<b>IT TOOK 5+ HOURS</b>

Apparently when they poured the side walk, they didn't have the ground built up near the front door. There were sections of concrete 6+ inches thick that had oozed out under the forms when they poured the side walk. Now normally, a sledge hammer is more than enough to break up even a thick section of concrete, but the bushes already overhand the side walk. I had to under-cut the bottom of the bushes just to get access to the ground. But that ment I was working at an angle, and I just couldn't get the hammer in there to clear the exceess concreate. And I couldn't just move the trench farther away from the side-walk because I was already running into major roots from the bushes.

My schedule and weather are only allowing me an average of 3 to 4 hours per day for 3 to 4 days per week. When I keep running into things like this that keep slowing me down, it's going to take me 3 to 4 years to get this project completed.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 6th 2005, 1:43pm

<div align="right"><font color="purple"><b>Are you having fun yet?</b></font id="purple"></div id="right">

RidgeRun05

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 6th 2005, 6:47pm

Ahh..isn't working in the irrigation field just a dream come true [:p]
Tony Posey
Ridge Run Landscapes

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 7th 2005, 2:53am

Who knew that digging in the sandbox back in nursery school was actually job training?

EEL

Starting Member

Thursday, July 7th 2005, 4:19am

I can relate. We just moved into a new place and I am “in the process” of installing a 16 zone 60 head system.
Down here in Texas we have some kind of dirt called “gumbo” that is like rubber clay. Boy is that fun. I’m cleaning out the trenches using a 3 inch shovel; it’s like digging with a screw driver. LOL
Oh well, it’s fun but it will be more fun once it’s done.

drpete3

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 7th 2005, 8:48am

It will make you love it that much more when somthing goes your way.
Thanks,

Pete

Rate this thread