You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

flem3

Sunday, July 10th 2005, 4:28am

Moist-O-Matic valve will not shut off

I have an old Toro Moist-O-Matic 4 zone hydraulic system. One of the zones will not shut off (back yard). I have followed the lines from the controller and finally found the first valve (coming off of the main feed from the street) which I believe is for the front yard. If I do find the second and possibly third controller, can I find replacement valves? Am I going about this the right way?

Steve

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 10th 2005, 5:37am

Welcome to the 21st century! What you want to do is locate all four valves, and replace them with electric ones. That is where the industry is nowadays. If it happens that the old valves are brass-with-plastic then you might be able to fit a new adapter to the brass part, but for the money, it's cheaper to start over. If you had complete confidence in the (no longer manufactured) hydraulic controller, you could still get Toro hydraulic valves to substitute for the originals. (try Toro part number 250-00-04)

Two caveats. If you are in lightning territory, like Florida, hydraulic controls still have their place. Second, it is likely that there is no backflow protection in that old sprinkler system, and you do want to take care of that oversight.

flem3

Tuesday, July 12th 2005, 11:41am

I live in Texas but we do have lightning. I purchased a controller from a local shop a couple of years ago so I don't have a problem with that. I am trying to find a valve (out of stock most places).

Is backflow protection something that we can add to the existing system (anything special needed for the hydraulic part)?
Steve

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 12th 2005, 2:33pm

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Custom/tscatlist.asp?PID=226
Backflow protection keeps the water you send into a sprinkler system from flowing backwards and putting your drinking water supply in danger. Lots of old hydraulic sprinkler systems were installed without it, and those systems present a health hazard. http://www.jessstryker.com/sprinkler08.htm

The Toro part number (250-00-04) is for a plastic hydraulic zone valve with one inch threaded ends, and a fitting to take that black plastic hydraulic tubing.

Rate this thread